Why I do share my experiences of breeding marine ornamentals?

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by LuckyFish, 15 Jan 2010.

1. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Now after all, I had to go through, I am sure, I will teach the hobbyist. Maybe a few part time breeders. But nobody will ever do it on a commercial base.
    Why? To much money to spend, to little money to earn, to much time to spend, to little time with your partner. Trouble is coming all the way, diseases, etc.
    It is not worth to do this full time.
    I want to encourage the people to breed, because it is a nice experience to see the first fry, to see them going through the metamorphosis, to see them cuddling at night, etc. Be aware, it is not only joy and pride you are going to feel.

You have to deal with this as well.
    [​IMG]

I was planning to do breeding as a job for a living. I would give it up, because of the mentioned above. But I was very lucky, the LuckyFish, to get the worlds first marine albino strain in the worlds most popular marine ornamental fish. NEMO
    My albinos are going to be exported and I will get good prices overseas. That puts me, or better forced me into the position to give up plumbing after 25 years.
    To breed marine ornamentals commercially, you have to apply at the Marine and Coastal Managment for an Agriculture Permit. Permit Fee, almost 9000 Rand.
    My next set up, for around 20 broodstock pairs and for around 30.000 juveniles in the grow out, will cost me roughly 150.000 Rand. I have to build the building on my property, which will cost also quite a lot.
    Now I am in the position to breed normal clowns for the local market.
    Why? I will earn much more with my albinos. Yes, but my monopoly for the albinos will expire after two years and my released albinos will reproduce themselves.
    I have to plan ahead. I am planning to have a 150 square metre hatchery and a 20 square metre R+D centre. Research and development. It is already planned, that a friend of mine, will join me in a few years time. He is a marine biologist and was in charge of the hatchery at Rhodes. I am looking very forward to this, because the two of us, can make a real impact. I think, we will be unbeatable.
    We are targeting to breed dwarf angels and many other interesting species.

Right now, I am sorting out my permits, growing my albinos and hoping to sell them in April/May. That will give me the cash flow I need to build the new hatchery.

Even if somebody want to breed commercially, it is already to late. Because of my foreigner status, I have to employ 5 south africans. So I have to have a big and good running hatchery. I guess, the SA market is to small, for more then one breeder.

To all the people, who want to breed clowns, etc.
    Shops will pay peanuts for your offspring. The retail prices for clowns are already peanuts compare to Europe and America.
    But I want to encourage every reefer, to breed banggai cardinals. The demand is much higher, than we are able to breed. I bred them in 1997, a few hundred.
    I also bred them here, but I only had problems. I will give it a try as soon as I got more space. Right now I am running out of space.

Looking forward to help you guys, but be gentle with me, time is very limited.
    With around +1000 fish, I spend around 4 to 5 hours every day in my breeding room.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Very interesting Luckyfish, thanks for sharing your experiences on this subject. Also sounds like you have some awesome plans lined up.

I tend to agree with you that breeding for the local market full time will not be worthwile as it is very limited (although growing by leaps & bounds). Yu could however supply us locals as a secondary market.

I appload you for taking such a big step, but what better way of making a living than doing something you really love

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Yeah, that´s right. 25 years plumbing is enough. Time to do, what I really love to do.
    Being a callboy! :lol: Just kidding, guys. That job is to hectic.

No, the breeding bug caught me and it looks like I can´t get ride of it.
    There are so many things in the pipeline, I can´t talk about it now.
    Yes, I want to breed what´s required for the local market. Just a few tanks more, a bit more broodstock and it should work.
    And yes, it is a very big step and I am **** scared, but what can I do. I guess, that will be the best step, I have ever done in my life.

I am going to be a farmer, a fish farmer. :biggrin:

5. Annoying

Annoying

Wow over a 1000 fish!!! Would you mind posting a pic of one of the albino clowns?

6. Yuri

Yuri

look at his avatar;)

7. LuckyFish

Look at my avatar. Or look here:
    Marcel is back online - New Members

8. Annoying

Annoying

Haha oops sorry went a little blind there...:p

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Thanks this answers my question from the Phyto thread :)

10. LuckyFish

To late, I already posted the answer.:)

11. LuckyFish

And I know why! You are UNIQUE;)

12. Annoying

Annoying

LOL Just like everybody else:thumbup:

13. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

If i may ask how much would a pair of these clowns go for here in sa?

14. LuckyFish

I guess you mean my albinos? If I think of the retail price we are targeting for Japan, and I deduct costs for shipping, profit for my distributor, you are looking at roughly
    7k. The price will come down on a long term, which means within the next two years.

Still cheap for two of the rarest fish right now. Compare the price to a Gem tang.

So please guys, don´t start counting 50 pairs albinos times ....

That´s not how it works. I reckon, the price will drop every 10 pairs being sold.
    That is another unknown fact, that I can´t count on. And in 2 years time, my monopoly will be gone, because the released albino reproduce themselves.
    That´s why I have to establish myself in the local market.

15. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Thats quite cheap if u look at really rare fish. I wonder if there are any albino's somewere in the sea. Id like to one day own a pair of albino clowns, but lets leave that for one day when im older

16. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Hey luckyfish have u planned to try breeding the tangs??? That would be nice some1 breeding yellow tangs in the african region! One my friend who is importing fish from hawaii told me all his yellow tangs are breeded. And they go for around 12-15$. Not that bad.:yeahdude:

17. LuckyFish

Yes it is, but you have to see the price of an normal ocellaris, compare to a tang.
    If I had a yellow tang albino, the price for South Africa would be around 60k.
    And that´s my price, the price is Japan will be roughly double.

18. charlv

charlv

I hope you all the best LuckyFish what is live without risks live is a risk so rather do something you love

19. LuckyFish

I don´t think so. I am sure these tangs are not captive bred, they are captive raised.
    These oaks in Hawaii bred dwarf angels, but I think they caught tang larvae and raised them.
    Even breeding dwarf angels of Hawaii was difficult enough. To get the right food for the larvae, they caught plankton out of the wild every day for the larvae.

There are no records about captive bred tangs worldwide and even if I could do it, for 12 to 15 USD, I would refuse to do it. Not worth the effort.
    That is one of the reasons, why you don´t find captive bred damsels on the market.
    It is not worth it. Clowns are almost not worth it. Flame angels would be interesting, but because of the high price, you can´t sell numbers. That´s how it works in this industry. It is also just a business.

20. Slummies

Slummies

good luck to you and nial

21. LuckyFish

Good guess bru, but wrong. Not Nial Vine. He was not the only person in charge of the Rhodes hatchery during all the years.

Recent Posts