Why does this clown look so stuffed?

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by archiecrain, 17 May 2011.

1. archiecrain

archiecrain

Ive had this little clown for about 3 weeks.....he has pretty much always looked Flea bitten since I got him his fins are always looking tattered, the regrow then another fin goes funny...there is no aggression between him and other clown...

Now his skin is looking bad....I have noticed that both him and the larger clown shake their heads and on occasion the bigger clown sometimes "breaths" by sticking her head out of the water......

They both active and eat well.....but Im not happy:(.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What can be the cause?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

probably stress, just make him a floating trap so he is easy to feed and watch, like a float guppy breeder thing.
    feed him garlic laden food and vitamins, can get enriched hufa frozen brine

4. archiecrain

archiecrain Thread Starter

Do you think my stong flow could be causing the stress? Or is it the other clown?

5. Tony

Tony

Do they fight at all Archie. I think it could be a minor case of fin rot/infection reoccuring if its not the two fish fighting or the guy being bullied. If you can catch the guy take a cotton bud and dip in in mercurochrome or lugols and dab the fin lightly to cleanse it. This should help the guy heal nicely

6. archiecrain

Ive never seen them fight, no chasing or bullying in any way ....I will try treat the fins....

Would the fin rot affect the skin on his body? Its almost like the skin is peeling slightly hence the blotchy colours....

or is that normal as he changes colour?

7. Tony

Tony

It can spread onto the body but just treat the tail and keep an eye on the fish. If the fish were really sick they would stop eating but yours are eating which is a good sign

archiecrain likes this.
  8. archiecrain

thanks Tony

9. ashley100

ashley100

do you use vitamins my one clown also whent funny looking. all i did was soak their food in vitamins and in one week he was cool.

10. Braco

Braco

i would suggest the same as Dallasg...garlic enriched food this would kill any infectious disease the clown might have..once their slim coat is seen coming off then this fish is probably heavily stressed..put in another container(e.g. floating net) away from the flow and monitor it's behavior...

11. David Vaughan

David Vaughan

Hi archiecrain

I saw something very similar from the same clownfish species not so long ago. I am wondering if the two cases could be related. The fish which was sent to me looked exactly like the one in your photos and over time had been getting worse. I anaesthetised the fish and removed a section of the infected area from one of the fins. Under microscopic examination I saw masses of enlarged epithelian cells. There were no parasitic organisms present but the symptoms were consistent with Lymphocystis, a virus which is contageous to other fishes. The fish was euthanased to reduce the risk of transfer to any of the other tank mates.

Garlic and its use in parasites - It has therapeutic properties yes, but assists in the immune response of the fish. It may also have some antiparasitic properties but it will not kill all parasites and certainly not all infectious diseases. It should be used with this in mind.

Regards

David

dallasg and archiecrain like this.
  12. archiecrain

wow thanks for the info!!! How long would the virus remain in the tank once the clown has recovered?

You folks have been super helpful!!

13. archiecrain

Ive bought Seachem Garlic Guard and have noticed that they eat with a lot more Zeal as the clearly enjoy the taste....But was concerned that it had no other real affects.....you answered my concern!

14. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Wow David now that is what I call a good answer, thanks for that.:thumbup:

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

@David Vaughan thanks for the great reply and attention to detail.
    it really mean alot to us reefers when professionals can take the time to help the amateurs

16. David Vaughan

David Vaughan

Hi Archiecrain and others

I have returned from Pretoria so still trying to catch up! Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding how long the virus would remain in the tank... i'm afraid that Lymphocystis usually gets worse over time and kills the host. There are no known cures as is the case with most viruses and I am not sure if anyone is looking into potential vaccines either because its just not justified to do so because of the time and money involved. The virus would probably remain in the tank for some time I would imagine, but it is unlikely that the fish will recover. This said, you might still not actually have Lymphocystis after all so lets hope you don't :).

Have a good week further and keep us updated on the fish's health progress if you can.

Regards

David

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

David one other point on Lymphocystis. Aquariusts must never try and treat with a copper or formaldehyde based medication. Copper tends to irritate tissue/skin making it susceptible to Lympocystis.

I apologise for harping on about identification. But the following it typical of disease misidentification. For this reason, i recomend that newbie aquariusts at least take an infected fish to a reputable LFS that has a microscope. They should be able to tell you if the disease is Parasitic or not and the scraping is done for free. But of course a vet is the correct avenue.

Often the aquariust looks at a fish infected with Lymphocystis and thinks it is infected with Cryptocaryon irritans (white spot) and treats it with copper or formaldehyde. This normally worsens the infection.

From a treatment point of view. I have had some success with mercurochrome and iodine. But most times the virus simply reappears a week or so later. Then on other occasions it simply disappears on it's own never to reoccur.

18. David Vaughan

David Vaughan

Hi NJ

You are of course correct. Misidentification is a large problem. It would be great to actually get some fresh material to do a diagnosis (hint hint).

The treatment you mentioned probably only works for the symptoms, hence the re-occurance, but I guess it is not impossible for fishes to acquire immunity...

Regards

David

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

No problems. I will post a few examples as i come across them.

20. archiecrain

Well Ill be honest that I have not done enything other make sure I feed well Useing Garlic Guard to keep him interested.....

He Looks no better....His skin looks blotchy as well (perhaps as he changes colour) but still looks crap....

Although he is still very lively and eats....

Thing that I dont understand is the other older clown is perfectly fine??

21. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

@David Vaughan and @Nemos Janitor,
    Please excuse my ignorance on Lymphocystis (and all other diseases :blush: )...

If it is a viral infection, can it not be treated with antibiotics?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts