Why Do So Many Reefers Leave The Hobby?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 20 Feb 2014.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

as the title says, what causes do you think?

Here are some reasons without getting too specific:

Work - You can get that promotion but at a price. Some realize they dont want their reef tanks to suffer and take a break from the hobby and its responsibilities because they may need to travel or spend more time at work.

Family - People start them and it is a life commitment. You have kids, bills, and mouths to feed, when all you cared for was the tank at some point. Many people take a break because again, they cannot dedicate the time they used to.

Illness - many people get sick or have surgeries. Maybe a close family member is sick. I have seen countless people leave the hobby to tend to themselves or loved ones.

Bored- Many people get bored and dont see that fire or flare in the hobby. A couple years or months off can rekindle that fire with a new dream build they thought up or saw.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nudibranch

nudibranch

What about the cost of the hobby? It can become expensive. Yes, I know you can do certain things cheaper but it all adds up in the end.

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Cost i left out as all hobbies have a cost to start, we all have the misconception that reefing should be cheap...

look at scuba diving, equipment, cost of dives, cost of accomodation etc.
    RC hobbies, i mean a heli setup will cost R20k plus etc....

Cost is a universal in all hobbies, but yes there is some that charge alot, i like high-turn around vs high margins, and i believe we make this hobby as costly as we choose

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

another reason

Over spending on setup.
    Spending a lot of money on a new hobby, getting the best, brightest, expensive equipment. Only to realize 6 months later that the amount of money he spend on the green grass just does not make sense. And the husbandry involved, effort, time, money and knowledge just do not get together.

Please, if new to the hobby, start simple. Learn first how to maintain good water parameters before buying all those SPS and anemones. As your knowledge increase, it will show on your tank.

I've seen plenty of new guys starting up. Buying the latest LEDS etc. Only to have that setup ending up in the for sale section. I will not advise newbies to buy the latest and best... except for a skimmer, there you should get the best you can afford.

Unless your wallet is a lot fatter than mine. Or you got somebody doing weekly maintenance and you are not really willing to be that involved, be it your time restraints or lifestyle. Yes, then full on automation is for you.

Rossreefer likes this.
  6. archiecrain

archiecrain

Also Repeated failure.....

7. nudibranch

nudibranch

@dallasg, I agree with your point that all hobbies are potentially expensive. We spoke about this at the MASA Jhb meeting on Saturday. I have other hobbies that are at least the same if not more expensive than reefing. However in these economic times we are facing all hobbies are at risk of being cut for more basic needs. If I had to choose between education for my kid or a hobby, you know which one would win. Just my 2 cents :tt2: but I understand why you left it out

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

Good things take too long and Ws happens over night. In the morning you lost big bucks

9. dallasg

yes so is this bad information at the start?

i agree, but repeated failure is from those that arent willing to learn

hmmm not a hard choice, school is over-rated :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. dallasg

only the reefer is to blame here...

11. dallasg

just so everyone knows, i plan to be blunt and to the point here...
    been keeping marines for 20yrs, and yes we all make mistakes that cost etc, but with research before buying and not going in blind one can save alot.

12. zak

zak

What about going too big? I think this is a contributing factor to reefers calling it a day..

13. dallasg

yes, i made that mistake just last year, to big from a running costs side and time, but a very important observation.

as mentioned in my own post, use lighting as the limiting size factor as that has the biggest cost

14. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

IMo its a hobby or responsibility. I guess when people realise its lots of work not just a pretty piece of furniture they start loosing interest. We all know things go wrong when you add hard work and a disaster result is a heartbreak! I can guarantee you at that moment lots of people give it up.

15. dallasg

i agree, i lost all my fish after 9yrs, yes it was heart-breaking but we get over it, it happens, these are living creatures, not model airplanes

16. zak

zak

What keeps me in the hobby is that my tank can run for close to a month without human intervention. The glass will look like crap, but everything else will be in check.. So if i do get lazy, or need to go away on business, i got a good buffer period before things go wrong..

17. Stanley

Stanley

I wouldnt say to blame the reefer.... I would say the lack of knowledge and not willing to do research....

18. Afinta

Afinta Back 2 FW (", ) boooyaa!!

My personal reason is that generally life just gets expense,I started when I had no kids and never owned my own place.... Now I have 2 kids and own a place and unfortunately its a flat so no space for a tank 1stly and 2ndly my kids started school and I spend more hours at work than home after accepting more resposibilities at work ... So now instead I setup a beautifull hardscaped(driftwood) fw setup with some gentle giants, js for having a tanks sake :lol:

19. Afinta

Afinta Back 2 FW (", ) boooyaa!!

Oh and I'm now a regular on tasa :lol: .....

Last edited: 20 Feb 2014
  20. NO3

NO3

I recon patience could be one!

21. dallasg

Is that not the reefer?

Recent Posts