WHY A 30cm dsb NOT DEEPER

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Peter Bee, 1 Dec 2007.

1. Peter Bee

Peter Bee

hi all

i have a question, every one says a dsb must be between 20 and 30cm, why not deeper. i am building a pond tank about 20000l and have got 5 compartments ranging from 1m deep to 45cm. two of them i have put bio balls about 50cm deep shade cloth over them and filled with crushed coral, one is course, one medium, the other ungergravel plates small ones then a medium coral over the top ,the fourth one silica sand with a mixture of diffrent sized coral over the top. the last one i am going to fill with live rock. whats going to happen ,and is it going to work. i am going to still build a filter pond outside connected to the main tank. that will have rock in it, it has been running outside for a few months and is doing fine. that all is in a plastic pool now, it has got about 15 fish and a clam in it. what is going to go wrong.
    thanks peter

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

No prob with going deeper.

The bio balls and crushed coral are going to trap detritus and eventually become a nitrate factory

Are you talking about undergravel filters? If so also A bad idea.

IMO you need a mechanical filter, (something easy to clean twice a week)
    Obviously some serious skimming power
    then a Huge DSB then the live rock chamber
    and back into the system

Wait for some of the more experienced guys to give you their opinion

4. calvin

calvin

peter with regards to DSB depth i think it has something to do with the effectiveness of the anerobic bacteria
    however on a more seriouse note ! there is a very strong chance of things going wrong with your setup! the use of coral chips and bio balls is usually strongly discouraged! the reason being is there will be a large build up of ntrates and amonia from detritus trapped in the coral/bioballs .I would suggest going for a more natural form of filteration sutch as the jubert /plenum filter or the berlin rock system

regards

calvin

5. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Peter,

I don't think there is anything wrong with going deeper. I think it just stops being effective at about 20cm.

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think it was Millepora that mentioned that he built a DSB around 800mm deep if i recall

7. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

thanks boys
    i am not running ondergravel filters there are just small plates lying on top of each other for about 50cm beep, they are covered with shade cloth and then my coral is on top of that to form my dsb, the same goes for for the bio balls so in essence i have 6 dsb ranging in depth from 1m to 30cm. i am going to still install a pipe to the bottom of them so if i feel the need i can syphon the dead water and crap that settles under them thats why the bio balls and filter plates. not just coral. i thought a diffrent layer of stuff under each might just house a diffrent gogga of sorts. who knows what lives there for sure. so it wont go bad at the bottom i can rince it out if i need to.
    thanks for the imfo
    peter bee

8. Kanga

PeterBee, could you post pics or a drawing I am battling to see this

9. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

i would but dont know how to work a cell phone camera never mind a digital thing.
    sorry
    peter bee

the pond is 3m wide 5m long like a figure 8 split it two,from top to bottom, the end has three compartments one big center square and two smaller squares,like a rectuangle they have walls seperating them till about 10cm from the water service, the 4 other filter things are in the poud they are on the so called bends of the 8 they are walled to 45cm so they then are 50cm under the water service, sounds easy but
    thanks peter bee

10. Rod

Rod

I will come and take a few pics of your mini ocean next week. Let the guys see this monster!

11. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

hey thanks rod
    next week it will be empty again i filled it and guess what, you guessed it is leaking
    so it may take a while still, the roof is next to come off, then the outside filters so no rush.
    peter bee

12. Kanga

Souds like an awesome project peter

13. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I think the only reason people go with DSB's about 15cm is because 11cm is optimal and it just ensures a bit extra if it dissolves etc. Cost and space prohibit making them huge.

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Correct, as far as bacteria which still use some oxygen is concerned.

At greater depth you will have bacteria which first uses sulphur and then calcium (if I remember correctly...) with increasing depth. These bacteria will still process nitrates, but you will have to make sure that you don't ever disturb these deep beds, as the bacteria produce toxic waste products which will be bad for your livestock if released in large quantities.

Hennie

15. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

thanks boys
    i was started as a joke i just woke up and thought why not try a big pond instesd of a nother 3m tank. and now we there we got the pond and i am still planning, as we go so any idears can still be added.
    thanks for the imfo i will try anything, if it fails i can allways say i got lousy advice for you
    peter bee

16. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

hi reef
    thanks for that,
    i thought of putting a pipe down to the dottom of the dsb pods ,and then every now and again i can pump the water from the dottom of them out. this way it will not be able to get to frot, if i can get it changed from the bottom with out having to moove the anything.
    peter bee

17. calvin

calvin

will you be keeping sharks?

18. silvano14

silvano14

interested to see what is being said. Stunning pond there PETER!! You got guts!!!

19. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

hi,
    no sharks, i think it is not cool to keep a shark in a small tank. they swim huge distances an i feel it is not fair on them to swin up and down all day in the same small space.
    peter bee

20. Peter Bee

Peter Bee Thread Starter

hi sil
    thanks bud, it is going to be interesting to see how it goes. you checked the leaks on saterday you want to see the thing today. if you got a mop come for coffee.
    any way they will just have to empty it and just re do it. pitty because of all the stuff i have allready put in the water.
    peter bee

21. Tridan

Tridan

Sorry to hear about the leak Peter Bee. never a nice thing to happen.

Recent Posts