Who was ever shocked when working on their tank?

Reaction score
Eish ... I was ALMOST shocked 2 death now. I was doing a water change and had a pump in the new water to transfer it to my main tank. Now normally I would just keep the pipe over the nozel of the pump. this time I decided to connect the pipe first , lucly 4 me! Cause when I connected the power the pump started sparking under water and then I heard a bang! The wire that connects the pump broke! If my hand was in there I am sure I would have seen the living day lights. Lucky none of my livestock was affected in anyway, but now I am vrek scared to work witi water and electric so thinking that I might have 2 sell up .

Reaction score
It happened to me as well about two weeks ago!!! And to think that I also put the pipe onto the nozzle first before switching it on...:err: Now is that coincidence with a bit of good luck or is there a greepeace conspiracy against us reefers??

Reaction score
Well the pump is in and out of water when I do water changes. So I guess the cable started to become britel with the handeling when it was dry. Thats how I think it broke

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
:) LOL... this happens dude..... as Mekaeel says... wear rubber soled shoes....

This is mostly due to a short on the pumps..... A lot of pumps don't come with an earth wire.... therefor the "shocking experience"....

Reaction score
Related question

Has anyone worked out what causes electrical leakage in our tanks.

I have checked all my equipment and none of them by themselves have an electrical leakage, but my sump always has about 10 volts running through it.

Tested it with a multimeter.

Reaction score
Warr - it is exactly the fact that I mentioned - how many electrical devices do you have in your tank, that actually have an earth wire?
Loads of unearthed equipment but if there was a short it would club you with 220V, 15A, not the 10V, I am picking up.

I have individually tested the pumps and heaters and no voltage is picked up at all.

There is something else going on here.

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Yes this happend to me to a few years back before I
sold everything! In my case the power head failed and
Killed all my shrimps, nemmies, corals and almost me to.
All the fish survived tho!

Reaction score
10 volts seem kinda high. I should cheak my leakage. Can it not be kinetic energy or something like that? Thinking now from school days ''energy cannot be created or distroyed, if it disapear in one for , it reapears in another''

Reaction score
10 volts seem kinda high. I should cheak my leakage. Can it not be kinetic energy or something like that? Thinking now from school days ''energy cannot be created or distroyed, if it disapear in one for , it reapears in another''
It is high but the current is lower than a battery - 0.01A

So if you do the numbers it is only 0.1 watts, so it's not dangerous but I would love to no where it is coming from.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Shew, be very careful with this, if you have a leakage switch all the equipment of and then switch on one at a time and see which piece of equipment. Ballasts for fluorescence are normally a bad one.
I was working in my tank awhile ago and my one actinic fell into the tank as the clips had rusted away............not pleasant at all.

Reaction score
Warr have you checked the heater it my have a small crack. mine did the same have replaced all power heads in the sump and finaly the heater and tata to the stray volts that kept tickling me when I put my hands in the sump. Word of advice to all reefers when doing tank maint check that all powerheads cable are still in tact as they do go brittle with the salt water after a while and do pick up small cracks in the cable till both are open and eish what was that.:p

Reaction score
I am not sure if I am explaining properly, if a heater element was exposed to water I would pick up 220V and get an extreme shock. I am picking up an electrical voltage of 10 V and 0.01A, there is no way this is coming from 3 x 300watt Jager heaters.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I am not sure if I am explaining properly, if a heater element was exposed to water I would pick up 220V and get an extreme shock. I am picking up an electrical voltage of 10 V and 0.01A, there is no way this is coming from 3 x 300watt Jager heaters.
Stop whining, it's a nice little tickle :p

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr - it is QUITE possible that electrical induction from one of electrical circuits could be inducing this low voltage/ampage in your water. Electrical induction is apparent everywhere where high voltage units are located.....