Who Said algea dont like high flow ???

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Sammy, 26 Mar 2010.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Hi guys, i'm about 2 years into reefing and have a real crappy algea prob, i've read countless forums that said hair algea dont like flow, mine must be a hybrid ?

Because where ever I direct flow they seem to flourish ? Where ever there is a high a high water flow these guys love it and grow out of control ? please help ???

Hope some of you having the same problems?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

The only algae i know of that isn't a fan of high flow is the red one, for the life of me i can't remember its name. If you have a hair algae problem you have a high nutrient problem. Usually its a hidden problem in the rocks when the nutrients have seeped in there over time. Have you had it since the begining? It should have burnt out by now. Maybe you should try pruning it by hand to remove it if you cannot fix the nutrient levels. Or get some snails.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

dude, i've been trying, loads of water changes ? no luck ? Green hair algea, they just seem to love the flow ? the higher the better, all around my powerhead ??? Constanlty having to prune around my overflow and outlet also, powerhead always getting clogged ?

5. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Sammy post a pic it might be briopsis and if it is you got a high nutrent problem and pls check your phosphates and nitrates,and are you using ro water to top up and i hope you using salt mix and not seawater ,also check calcium levels and magnesium, as if you magnesium is below 1300 dose it slowly higher to a max of 1600 but slowly as briopsis strugles to live above 1600-1800

Last edited: 26 Mar 2010
  6. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

As google say, i might have it, i'm going to under go a serious bout of water changes and see what happens ?

7. IMarine

IMarine

like i said check you mag as you can slow down the growth by more then 70% in the first 60 days and good luck

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you've got Bryopsis algae then water changes will be a waste of time, it won't help. The first thing you need to do is correctly identify what algae you have got because the treatments of different algae vary depending on what type it is. Post a couple of photo's of this algae so we can identify it.

9. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

Is it also cyno, Dont dose to much Iodine it also boosts the Cyno Growth. Feeding alot also causes it .. I normally feed my fish 3times a week ( dont have many fish ) and let my lights only run 10.5 hours a day..
    Have no Algae Problems

10. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

Oh my fish are healthy and Fat ...

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Reefmaster_ZA - iodine can NEVER "feed" cyano-bacteria. Iodine kills off bacteria.

Recent Posts