Who runs their Vortechs without the cover?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Tony, 10 Oct 2009.

1. Tony

Tony

I've seen a few guys running their Vortechs without the cover. The increase in power is incredible but I keep worrying that my fish will be turned into sashimi. So, who runs their pumps without the covers and have you had any casualties as a result?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Adriaan has run them like that for years,no sashimi.They are even anenome safe when run in this fashion as there is no intake strainer to trap the creature.....:)

4. Afsal

Afsal

kewl . cause i wana try that on my sun sun pumps as well .... plus less detritus gets trapped

5. Tim S

Tim S

Hi chaps,

Stumbled on this one. I have 2 vortechs which run with the covers. I assume you refer to the dome grating and sponge which protects the propellor. The flow is so great that even medium sized fish get sucked against it (and unfortunately die). I lost 2 clowns in this manner as they are not strong swimmers.
    So if I understand correctly, you remove the dome and only have the back disk and propellor.

An interesting solution. I will try this.

6. shane

shane

Hey Afsal,
    I dont think this will apply to the sun sun pumps as the front casing holds the impellor shaft in place.I have two 5000 l/hour sun sun pumps .I was thinking about doing a mod that some reefers did on their seio's. I think every second grating was removed, to allow bigger spacings around the impellor.
    I have not tried it yet.
    cheers

7. Afsal

Afsal

shane , i kno which mod u are talking about ...... worth a shot ....

8. Ross

Ross

I don't know of anybody that runs with the sponge on the pumps at all.... would actually have thought that was just part of the packaging.

9. Tim S

Tim S

Hi Ross,
    I run mine on occasion with the sponges on to catch all the muck in the water. I periodically set the pumps on full speed to blown up all the detritus from the rock and substrate once a week. It takes out a lot of debris.

10. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

how do you even attach the sponge ?

11. durleo

durleo

It just slips over the plastic protector.

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

the sponge i got with is to big just slips of, doesnt matter wasnt going to use it anyway

13. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

I did run mine with the sponges for a while but it gets dirty quickly and slows the performance on the pump down.

On another note I have seen my Foxy swim into the impeller with no problems besides a small mark where the blade hit him. He is about 15cm long which could account for his survival and I'm sure some of my smaller fish wont be so lucky.

14. Tim S

Tim S

Tony,
    I am more concerned that smaller fish get sucked against the protector than the propellor chopping fish up. This has happened to me already and lost a clown. I,ve watched the fish react when getting too close and in my mind the better option is no cover. The only reason your 'whale' got hit is because of his size. Smaller fish just get sucked away with the wash of the water flow. My smallest fish leaf and cleaner wrass (were 12mm long) go realy close to the propellor with no injury. The pumps performance is severly impeded by the sponge as well as the protector as without anything on, my arragonite substarte gets moved around.

15. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I run my vortechs without the covers...Havent had any fish injuries...The fish seem to swim near it and then back off...

Ive got mine on anti synch pulse and the wave im getting is incredible...

16. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Ridwaan, they do perform much better without the covers

Recent Posts