Who keeps Heniochus

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Nemos Janitor, 6 Dec 2013.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

As the thread states. Who keeps Heniochus species and in what environment. Especially interested in behavioral traits and their social behavior.

Post Pic's please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jimilutz

jimilutz

I have one, he never sleeps or rests. Even after lights out he is still cruising around the tank. He is too fast and my main lights only come on in the afternoon but I made a quick YouTube video so you can see it. I initially bought three but my yellow tang killed two of them in the first week. I have had the survivor for about six months and the tang does not bother him. My tank used to be full of mini feather dusters but he polished off the lot within a week. He is always hungry but has not touched my yellow Bali polyps, I read they eat polyps but was not sure what kind are referred to.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

H. acuminatus. Wild ones are usually in pairs, though I've always ended up with one due to aggression, even when they're caught small. They eat most corals and get worse as they get bigger.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Anyone kept pairs of Intermedius and Monoceros together? I had a Monoceros that was living with my Semilarvatus, but lost it due to a power issue. I had been looking for a Intermedius for quite a long time and managed to acquire one. It is in QT atm. When diving the Red Sea one always sees the Semilarvatus and Intermedius swimming in pairs together with a few bat fish also hanging around. Would love to try and replicate that. But I also like the Monoceros so want to know if it is possible to keep all together.

The Monoceros was quite good and did not put too much pressure on the soft corals. Don't know about the Intermedius, will have to wait and see.

6. King_Triton

King_Triton

Hi, I have had one, but he killed my open brain, and started in other lps. So I swapped him. Very active

7. Nemos Janitor

Yes they and most flys love LPS. That I know. Keeping them with soft corals that grow fast is good food for them.

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I reckon the intermedius and monoceros would probably squabble. Very closely related species.

9. Nemos Janitor

Yes I think they might as well. But I think it is worth a try in a biggish tank.

Pic of my Monoceros in Jan last year. I am so sad just thinking about the stupid issue resulting in his loss.

[​IMG]

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

What about something like a Coradion otherwise? Probably less likely to fight.

[​IMG]

11. Nemos Janitor

Thanks Lord. Will look into them. I want to create a reef fish tank rather than a reef coral tank. The tank must be populated with lots of fast growing corals that the fish can feed off but not destroy. So no LPS and zoas. Very few tangs and the other reef safe fishes.

So I am thinking flys, no ornate flys, a fancy pair of triggers and the odd angel.

12. King_Triton

King_Triton

Maybe add a dog face puffer as well. They are cool. :thumbup:

Recent Posts