Who is liable

Discussion in 'Technology' started by leslie hempel, 14 May 2010.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey guys my laptop was stolen out of the house we rent as a site office across the road from the construction rite I am currently working on. My question is 'who is liable for the replacement?' I use my own pc for work and am even on their server and have a company e-mail which is its main function (sending and recieving work related e-mail). We all leave our laptops in the office. As there is a security gate and someone always present there so we suspect it was a visitor. What to do? Opinions please. Im on my cell which it making life hell.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear Leslie. Damn it just pees me off if people can't leave other people's stuff alone!
    I would think they need to replace as it was used for their work. If they don't want to and you replace yourself, just refuse to use your private laptop for work purposes. Then they have to provide you with a pc anyway in order to do your job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Anemone

Anemone

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Leslie. Definately see if the company will replace it, if not, check your insurance. Hope you get a new one soon. I refuse to use a cell for internet, just too small for my eyes.

5. vatso

vatso

What does your contract say? Are you a contract worker or full time

the property belongs to you which means you are responsible for it's insurance, if your car was stolen it is the same thing they would not replace your car why would they replace your laptop?

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Thank you for your opinions. Its a little different to a car but I do agree its one of those on the fence matters. This makes my mind up to ask not demand if something can be done.

7. neo

neo

If you are a contractor you are responsible for your onw stuff except if stated otherwise. If you are fulltime employed it depends on who owns the laptop.
    At our company if we supply our own laptops the company 'rents' it from us and the company is responsible during work ours, during private ours i'm responsible.
    If your company did not agree for you to use your private laptop they are not going to pay anything, if they did agree they must sort out the security during work hours.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Leslie - you can perhaps talk to them. PERHAPS they might be willing to help you (the company that you work for)....

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

well to wrap this up i approached our group fiancial manager.. he wanted to help but seeing as the computer wasnt registered with their insurance he felt it would be fraud to claim..

surley they should have some sort of insurance 3rd party etc etc...

anyway, i bought a new pc not the best but its good enough to keep me conected..

they have asked me to report back to our head office to start with work there where i will need a computer.. when asked if i had gotten a new one i said yes but i would like compensation for its use.. it will be discussed on monday so lets see what happens..

10. vatso

vatso

it's a crap one man! I would think they should just buy a new one Or even if they donated a few rand to your new one

Recent Posts