Who is building these sumps?

RiaanP

Reaction score
Who is building these sumps?
They are an old design. Outdated and for the technology of the nineties. I find them all over this site.
My old
109448b14aa501b00.jpg

also Peterjoh
134149342ace130f0.jpg

and Genesis

And the new technology is? Can you show us the right way for 2009? I am very interested.

i think he means with DSB's etc

I here you Riaan, the problem is that the Modern marine aquarium is not such an old concept, secondly( and this is just my opinion) in a FO petshop scenario where the are sudden huge increases n bioload (when wish are unpacked) this type of filter actually deal quite well with these increases in such a short period. A DSB however takes more time to adjust.

SO accompanied by the fact that most guys dont really want to know more, plus the fact that the DSB is a relatively recent development and this system works forthem they assume its the best for the home aquarium as well.

Having said that it annoying that they catch guys with this type of sump. It truly is not what we need.

Yip, also had to mod mine and still is not satisfied... Will get one build for my needs when I upgrade the tank later this year.

You are correct Dallas - Rod - I think that Riaan is referring to the suggested way of having a sump with only 3 partitions, where one partition is for the skimmer, the second for the DSB and the 3rd partition for the return pump....

Riaan - these sumps' design is not specifically incorrect - it is just the bio-balls and ceramic noodles that come from the fresh water mind-set. This used to be OK with FISH ONLY systems of the past - but in the era where keeping corals is MUCH more of a norm, high nutrient levels is not acceptable anymore.
With the sump designs as you have pictured, there ware always issues with nitrates and phosphates being high - and as I said - with FISH ONLY, this is not a problem.....

hi riaan, i know exotics build their sumps like that, didn't you have a similar sump with your old tank?

Yes, rather a DSB.
Also fitting a proper skimmer into a 170mm gap? But I see that a reeftek TS2 does fit.
And bio-balls and ceramic rings...

But I do understand now. It is OK for Fish Only tanks.

Yes Lanzo, first pic is my old sump.

Nope Lanzo
But I see that Kylestanley fitted a ts2 into the last chamber. And looking at his thread, it is a tight fit. from his post:
141449678423c3e69.jpg

I also had a sump like this, and in my opinion they are stupid for the following reasons.
1. Can't have a decent DSB
2. It is not maintenance friendly - to work in it is difficult.
3. It restricts evaporation
4. You lose the effectiveness of the light for growing macro algae because of the drops and salt creep and damp on the inside of the top glass - needs to be cleaned nearly daily
5. You can't put a biggish in-sump skimmer
6. They are stupid
7. They are stupid
8. They are stupid

Just my opinion :p

Nope Lanzo
But I see that Kylestanley fitted a ts2 into the last chamber. And looking at his thread, it is a tight fit. from his post:
141449678423c3e69.jpg

i had a look at his tank, and it is looking good, yip that ts2 is in a tight spot, but it gets the job done:thumbup:

Riaan, I notice your sand to be relatively deep in comparison to the setup I have put together. OK so I am only using a smaller 2ft tank but the concept and principle is identical. One a scale of relative depth, you appear to be running about 1/3 sand to water, based o the appearance of that, should I add more sand because I have about a 1/5 depth ratio. all things considered, how far below the sand surface level does "activity" get to? That would be the real question I guess.

Riaan, I notice your sand to be relatively deep in comparison to the setup I have put together.

Actually not.
See that short piece of glass inside the sand. That is 100mm high. My sand is at 150mm. The sump is only 360 high. So it is misleading. And then 50mm is sunken behind the bottom part of the stand.

If you use playsand, then the ideal depth is 150mm.
From about 100mm down that is the an-aerobic area. Deeper than 150mm do not provide any additional benefit. Using coarser material, yes then it should be deeper. Can even use marbles, but then it should be 1m or more deep. It is about the particle size and the combined surface area it provide for the bacteria to live on.

Back
Top Bottom