Who here has changed their substrate? Is it a PITA?

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
I have crushed coral substrate at the moment, would love to change it for finer substrate/ is it a huge PITA (pain in the ass) to do this??

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Just siphon it out whenever you do a water change... When there's none left pour in the new substrate carefully... (like pour it down a tube/pipe of some sort so it doesn't land all over everything)

Marinemagic

Reaction score
hI matt165, it is also advisable to change it in stages, I did my over three weeks and during water changes.

brentnorm

Foxface
Reaction score
Its definately worth the PITA and you will be exretmely happy with the results afterwards.

Ferdie Vorster

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
If you do it in stages, do you take out bits by bits until all the crushed coral are gone and then add the finer substrate or do you add the finer substrate each time after you've taken out the bits, and how do you get the crushed coral not to mix with the finer substrate

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Ferdie - Everything is about doing things SLOWLY. To give the biological filter time to adjust to everything. This is all fine (you can just remove the bigger crushed coral little bit at a time, until there's nothing, and then add the finer, sugar-grain sized substrate all at once).... The point here is to constantly measure the water parameters as well - therefore the "water change" idea..... that there's no sudden spike in the ammonia or nitrites or even nitrates, that could cause problems with the life stock in the tank.

joe

Damsel
Reaction score
Or you could:p shovel it out with a plastic cup like i did , releasing waste and toxins in the water killing 3 fish and a coral ! :p