Who else in Centurion without power?

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by RiaanP, 30 Jun 2014.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

If anyone is super stuck I have a genny that can be borrowed

4. Vetrix

Vetrix

And another substation in Eco park just caught alight so now just about the whole of Centurion is off.

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

well, if you do not have a big enough generator, get one on your way home TODAY. In fact go home early, get one.

The queue this morning at Adendorff Centurion was about 20 to 25 people, all buying generators. They had a special truck delivery coming in today, only generators. Rental places like Coastal Tool Hire and Hire Quip in Centurion are all out.

7. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

Like i said guys i dont mind helping a fellow reefer out with mine for a few days.

Ebi Omer likes this.
  8. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Very generous of you @HoboHoppy. :thumbup:
    That is what I miss being isolated in a "dorpie" with no support...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. RiaanP

well, even the filling station is one big buggerup.
    Everybody got their Jerry cans or whatever suitable and unsuitable cans out. Plus the fuel price goes up after tomorrow night. So their forecourt is just one big traffic jam.

10. Johan7927

Johan7927

Hi all I have power you are welcome to setup a tank at my place to safe your fish

11. Aurora

Aurora

Hi. Know its not too close to you guys but i have a empty 4 foot thats running that someone can use if they have an emergency.

12. Johan7927

Johan7927

Bring your water tanks is available to help you to safe your fish corals

13. pom

pom

Yip in the same boat here. Does anyone know at what lfs I can get a battery operated air pump in the area? Was running things on a inverter but my battery is almost flat so that will be my next go too..

14. RiaanP

that can help

Dorry Pets had some, not sure if they still do.

What about tank temperature? Rather invest in a geni that can run your tank, including heaters. Can switch lights and if really needed the skimmer off. As long as you got circulation and stable temperature.

15. pom

pom

Ok thanks will try them. I have it covered with a blanket and some newspaper, and added some containers with warm water last night to keep the temperature up, it is currently around 20deg and the fish seem fine, or should I be worried with the temp being at 20deg constantly? I have borrowed a small geni but the thing hasn't run in like 2 years so it has been a struggle lol, figured out the carburetor float was stuck so I fixed that but now the thing wont idle, will give it one last shot when I get home tonight lol

16. RiaanP

Can take the Geni to Dennis Lawnmowers, opposite Lifestyle, western side of old Joburg road. Same complex as Adendorff machinery. Take note that all those places are overloaded with geni repairs.

17. chas84

chas84

Also without electricity in The Reeds :( got the big gennie running 24/7 - I'm sure our neighbours HATE us by now but at least the tank is alive, chicks are hatching, freezer is frozen, we got tv, hot water and electric blanket Costing about R700 in petrol per day run though.

18. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

19. chas84

chas84

@pom sorry man I only went through the thread now. If you need to charge that battery for a while you're welcome to come do it here.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. chas84

chas84

Ag they change the timing often. Hopefully by midnight (our area) will be on again. I think the main problem is that three sub stations in Centurion have been severely sabotaged (stripped bare). One of them caught fire yesterday so that part is only expected to be back online around Friday. The third ons was vandalised late this afternoon.

But boy oh boy it's amazing how the Centurion community helping each other out. People with electricity are opening their homes for families to go have a bath, gas stoves are made available for baby bottles, a salon is opening at 6 for the ladies to blowdry hair and freshen up, some families have set up makeshift "soup kitchens" for families who have no alternative.

People are making turns to help out the community policing forum, to keep the now very dark place as safe as they can.

Sad is the fact that being month end weekend so many people have filled their freezers with the month's meat, lots which has spoilt by now.

And still the municipality hasn't deployed security to protect the rest of the infrastructure.

21. pom

pom

Thanks for the offer chas84, eventually got my geni running after alot of swearing only to have the power go on after it ran for for 10 minutes.....lol

Recent Posts