Urgent help needed Whitespot Treatment

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by RS250, 17 Jul 2012.

1. RS250

RS250

Hi

I am treating WS in my tank at the moment with Herbtana.
    Tank is 380L, added 20ml herbtana at 19h00, skimmer off.
    Some strange things happening:
    3x turbo snails look 'drunk', they have all fallen off the rocks they were on.
    My powder blue is going crazy, rubbing on the substrate constantly and swimming up and down violently
    Other fish seem to be doing fine.
    Question is, does this behavior from the snails and PB sound normal when dosing Herbtana?

thanks guys

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orson

Orson

I’ve never used the product so I have no idea if there is copper or something else in it. I use either cleaner shrimp or chop up garlic finely and rub in with their food, feed, and the white spot should be gone in 2 days - my experience. The tang can eat some garlic to. No side effects for any one else.
    good luck.

4. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Thanks Orson
    I am mixing all the food with garlic and leaving it for 10min to soak before feeding, this way most of the ws got off the fish
    Only regal tang has loads of ws and getting more by the day hence the reason I dosed Herbtana... Temp in tank is 28deg @ the mo

5. Orson

Orson

Quickly want to read something, will respond just now.

6. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Cool

7. Orson

Orson

A book of mine (written by a marine biologist) describes a fresh water bath. Never tried it but here it is.
    Fill a container with 80% fresh water, 20% aquarium water. Raise the water in the container equal to that of the aquarium with sodium bicarbonate (I think that’s baking soda) – about 1 teaspoon per 4.5 litres, but you must test the pH! Temperature of the container must also equal that of the aquarium. Gently ease the sick fish into the container. Watch to see if its breathing becomes erratic in which case the osmotic stress is too much for the fish and it must be returned to the aquarium immediately. It is normal for fish to lie on there sides while in the container, but WATCH their reactions, any difficulty and they must go back into the aquarium.
    This fresh water bath must not exceed 10 min, and most fish show discomfort after 5 min. Don’t leave the fish unattended during the bath! The idea is the osmotic shock is more sever and much quicker on the pathogens, they peg and fall off.

I’ve heard of raising the temp, I thought though 26 deg was enough – not sure. I’ve read anything over 27 is not good news at all for the corals etc. Not surprised the snails are not feeling well. I’ve only had a regal and a damsel get sick, one the shrimp sorted out and the damsel ate the garlic, 2 days latter it was good as new and it was quite severe case for the damsel.

8. Orson

Orson

I see under the sick fish forum there is some advice from 6 days ago "another white spotted fish", you might find something else there. I'm affraid thats all I've got. good luck.

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Please read the following 2 Links...it explains the "cycle" and all the different options...there are so many Threads that cover WS...
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

Cycle....
    [​IMG]
    Bucket Method...
    Quote by RiaanP...
    Bucket Method Quarantine - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Another Link...
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=21686

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes that is normal, then they fall off, becomes Tomonts, waiting to hatch again. Re-infection....

Fresh water bath for a parasite that is under the scales protected by the slime layer on the fish. Nope, not going to work. Same reason why copper DOES NOT work for the parasites while on the fish. Copper only works during the free swimming stage. Check that picture, you got a short time between hatching and infecting to actually hope that copper levels are 100% to be effective. And as they can take up to 28 days to hatch, you have basically no change to be successful.

Raising the temperature to 28 degrees. Yes it does speed up the live cycle. But if you do the bucket method you do not want to speed up the live cycle in the buckets. You can raise the temperature in your display if there are no fish in there. That is if your inverts can handle the temperature increase.

Whitespot free tank. It is possible, but only if you run your display for at least 6 weeks with NO fish in it. So you need to remove all fish, do the bucket method with them and thereafter keep them in a suitable housing for the remainder of the 6 weeks period.

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yet another Herbtana disaster. I can't believe any LFS still sell this crap. Things that cure whitespot:

- Hyposalinity - Lower your salinity to 1.009 for a month. Needs a quarantine tank because it will kill inverts. Minimal stress to fish and it's safe.
    - Copper - Cupramine is your best bet. Needs a quarantine tank because it will kill inverts. Minor stress to fish and reasonably safe. Just follow instructions on the bottle.
    - Bucket method - Easy but stressful to fish.

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Good morning,

No this is not normal behavior after a Herbtana treatment. Did you subtract the displacement of your rocks and sand from the tank volume?

If you follow the instruction on the bottle to the letter everything will be fine.
    @viper357 could you please move this to our sponsor forum?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. shaunn

shaunn

my snails also did the same stopped the herbtana and they were fine again

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Thanks guys to everyone for your input, much appreciated.
    I have not subtracted the volume of LR and substrate from 380 litres, thats probably why my snails all got "drunk". They all seem to be fine this morning, only 1 snail I'm still worried about.

I want to keep on dosing the Herbtana for now and see how it goes. In the meantime I'll do a study of the bucket method.

I'll keep you guys posted :thumbup:

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

there is also a new prodibio WS treatment. I dont think anyone used this yet so I cant say if it works. When you run your tank with no fish its min 6-8 weeks but some forms of WS can live for 10 weeks so I suggest making it 11weeks just to be safe.

I did it for 8 weeks and the WS came back :(

16. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Thanks for your advise Tremayn

17. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Bit of an update:
    After loosing a few fish due to WS I moved all the fish into a quarantine tank and dosed cupramine.
    Within 3 days all WS disappeared on the fish :) and they have been clean since.
    Now I'm keeping them there for another 7 weeks to give the DT time to rid itself of the WS, then ill put all the fish back.
    Dosing stability daily and doing regular water changes in QT.
    Swopped the powder blue for some angels today as I don't want to risk the chance of another WS outbreak after the 8 weeks has passed

QT running canister filter with some ceramic beads and bio balls

18. shaunn

shaunn

well done getting there slowly

19. RS250

RS250 Thread Starter

Thanks Shaun! And for all your help moving the fish across to the qt. Was a stressful time for me

Recent Posts