whitecheek vs powder brown

Reaction score
believe there is room for one more tang in my tank. Really looking at adding one of these. They truly beautiful fish. Yes, both might be prone to ick and other diseases, but believe a healthy specimen can be obtained. Currently have blue, naso and hippo tang in my 750L tank. I do believe the powder blue is more aggressive - which would make the powder brown hopefully more peaceful - but the same is said about the whitecheek tang. There is a fair chance that everyone will play nice.

Would like to get opinions - which is preferred and why. Achilles would be 1st prize, but no chance of getting to that budget...

The powder brown in my tank is more aggressive than the powder blue. Tried to introduce the white face or Gold Rim/Powder black and cannot because of the powder Brown. How big is your system

1500 x 750 x 750. So far the naso, regal and blue tang are quite happy - been in my system for more than two years (except naso - introduced him still small about 9 months ago - has since doubled in size). You don't often see the powder browns or whitecheeks in aquariums - hence my interest in them. Just don't want to buy myself trouble OR more importantly, put the fish at risk

I had a Powder Brown for 2 years, beautiful little fish however if I just sneezed near the tank it would have white spot for 3 weeks.

Was pretty stroppy as well. Think you will start a war in your tank with the introduction which will result in your Powder Brown breaking out in White Spot within 3 or 4 days.

How big are the other tangs, if they significantly bigger than the Powder Brown it could easily end in tears.

Current tangs are fairly large. I don't believe that's a calculated risk then - more like russian roulette. Not willing to take that chance. I value my corals (and fish) way too much.

Any whitecheek tang experiences/ suggestions? I assume they will be much the same as the powder brown - but fish behaviour sometimes differ drastically within the same families....

Seriously considering parking the additional tang idea indefnitely.....

Probably a wise call.

You could try put him in with the lights off just after you have feed the fish. Sometimes makes them less inclined to beat up unwelcome guests.

But be prepared to fish him out after 20 minutes if he is getting a beating.

I have a Powder blue now and subsequently have 2 sump dwellers after trying to introduce new fish – Long nose Butterfly and a Coral Beauty now reside in the sump.Both were beaten to near death in about 30 minutes by the Powder blue.Not ideal.

Best way to introduce Tangs in my experience is to introduce the most placid (and smallest) ones 1st and introduce the most agro ones (And biggest ones) last.

I thought the Powder Blue would be the last fish I added but you know how it is, you always find one more you want sooner or later.

Welcome to come look a my system.
powders nearly always have white spot, after introduction. The fatter the better, best is to take over someone's healthy fish from a shut down or sale, and not take a newly shipped specimen unless you are or have mechanism to deal with WS. However at some stage you will get an outbreak after introduction of new fish.

Thank you Roy - would like to avoid WS as far as possible. Will be parking this idea for now......thx for all the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom