Whitecheek Tang - Acanthurus nigricans

Reaction score
Hey guys, was mulling over my fish list for a while and thought i would do some more reading then i found this little fella on liveaquaria.com

Whitecheek Tang - Acanthurus nigricans

Has anybody had any experience with these fellas or know about them? i think it is a really stunning fish and will swap it for something else on the list if its a goodie.

thanks justin, good info there, didnt know it is almost the same as a powder brown, was thinking of kicking the powder brown out for it:p Would rather try the white cheek cause its prettier, but if i find a powder brown which catches my eye then i will go with him. dont really like the white face on the PB:(

Thanks for the heads up. i'm also interested in a powder blue and they are the same. i have a uv filter to help out if white spot breaks out
The UV doesnt always help. I gave a Powder Blue a try a few years back with a UV running 24/7 and still lost it through White spot.

According to what i have read and read and read the tangs? more specifically from the surgeon family need a Beeg tank to live for a long time and not perish to whitespot all examples that i have come across that lived for more then 3 years were in tanks Longer then 2 metres. so my dreams for a surgeon have faded until i can own a tank 2.5m or longer

ah thats a scary thought. it doesn't help? dam. there goes my ace in the hole. goin to have to rethink some stuff now. will have to be really careful and watch them. really want to try them. i know there are a few ways to combat white spot. will just have to see how it all goes. thanks for the help guys.

Scuba there is on oke on the other forum that has some of his tangs for over 15 years and has never had issues with whitespot. he says that he has not had issues because of the size of his system 3000*600*600. he believes that whitespot is mainly due to space. Im sure that if there is enough space you wont have issues.

thanks for the info, would live to avoid white spot but at the same time stock it to the brim. might have to avoid these more sensative fellas. but i'd like to try first. i can always relocate

thanks for the info, would live to avoid white spot but at the same time stock it to the brim. might have to avoid these more sensative fellas. but i'd like to try first. i can always relocate

Scuba, the powder blue is a far ranging fish, as above a 3m tank is cool, but much less than that, you will struggle to keep them happy, many tangs need space, to "stock it to the brim" is, in my opinion, suicidal if you keep certain tangs, mainly the powder blue, regal and powder brown species, research carefully and don't overstock.

Regal vs Powder Blue

I have been keeping a regal tang since juvy in my tank (2m x 500 x 700) for more than 2 years now without issue, in fact he's grown substantially. My dream remains to keep a powder blue but numerous attempts in the past always resulted in the dreaded white spot, which spread to everyting else like wild fire. Running a UV 24/7 did not help.

I would love suggestions on what would make my dream come true without placing my entire system at risk. The threads up until now suggest that a regal and powder blue are similar in terms of living conditions.. Huh ???

Heres my Regal - Healthy as a obama election campaign.. (Sorry about the blury pic, the fella just wont sit still)
1392494bbc8ab4ed6.jpg

eish difficult one, and all fish i have tried to keep and unsuccessfully.. P/ blue, P/brown nig and jap...i definatley believe a large surface area (as in swimming space) along with diligent and meticulous fishkeeping skills are a must.. i will only try once i have a house and a very large tank... i recieved a local caught powder ble from morris in durban.. it was in imaculate condition.. i had it 2 months and struggled with whitespot everyday during that time..

thanks for the help guys. i figured tangs need space, but thought i might have enough space. but then again i want a big bio load which might not be good for them cause that means lots of fish. so i think i will steer clear:( thanks guys. i don't know enough to say that my knowledge is enough

Back
Top Bottom