Urgent help needed white worms,bubbles & brown dust on top of my aragonite

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by da.low, 6 Dec 2010.

1. da.low

da.low

Hi

I got my tank recently- dating back almost 5 months.

All seemed fine...until now. I got white look alike worms popping up from the rocks and my aragonite....is this the norm or do i have some sort of infection in my tank.

On top of that i got bubbles...small tiny bubble...appearing at the bottom of my tank.The bottom of the tank and rocks are also coloured with a brown dust.

Lastly i got two of my fish looking proportionally large...like they are pregnant.

I extremely concern and will appreciate your feedback.

thanks

Orange: small tiny bubble
    Red: worms popping up from the rock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You not saying how long your tank is running.
    But it looks like cayno bacteria. The brown dust and the bubbles it forms. Its related. Options you got is to increase the flow a bit.

Do you do your weekly water changes? I doubt if your water parameters are all ok, did you check your phoasphates reading?

the white worms, looks harmless, spagethi worms.

4. rakabos

rakabos

Agree with RiaanP

I had cyano, and also noticed the bubbles just before it became obvious that it was cyano. Try decreasing your lighting period and manually remove as much of it by syphoning it out, it should come right off. Then get your phosphates sorted, probably high. And dont let a LFS sell you electric blue hermits, you would need an army of them to solve this by predation

Last edited: 7 Dec 2010
  5. llewellyn

llewellyn

I also have a rock with these worms in it and ditritis collecting in and around the hole they live in. Are they good or bad?

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

With regards to you other questions; your liverock will truelly come to "life" over time. Many things, including corals even will pop up everywhere. Those white worms are harmless and the orange bubbles might be either sponges, sea squirts or a couple of other things in fact.

That is nothing to be concerned about, in fact it shows the tank is settling and stuff is starting to do well. Your tank will find an equilibrium between what grows on the LR and the inhabitants you have. You will find that at some stage these things growing out everywhere might grow large, or some other fish or invert ate it.

No need to stress about that.

To help with the cyano issue, before you invest in a million rand worth of over marketed equipment, just check your kH (hardness of the water) with a test kit. I would almost bet you it is low. Then, if my suspision is right, get Tripple Buffer that will increase the kH whilst keeping the pH etc in tact. Increase your kH, as cyano preffers softer water.

Then, increase your flow over the area affected, and decrease your light period by half at least.

Cyano requires light, and lower flow, so you will aggitate it, and it will "dissappear" within no time. That has always been my #1 receipe for cyano issues, and I had alot of luck with it.

But, also as Riaan and Rakabos stated, no harm in checking your Phosphates too, as the next step from cyano is green hair algae, which is a bit more of a challenge than cyano.

Hope this helps... ;)

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

what have you added/changed recently?

8. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

OH NO !!
    This is much worse than expected.
    :(

9. boetie

boetie

Get yourself a Picasso trigger fish that will get rid of the worms and bristle worms

10. Tony

Tony

The white ring like thingies are feather dusters. The white string like thing is a spaghetti worm. All harmless

11. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

my tank is running +- 5months now.....

and concerning my water changers, i only do the monthly... remove about 100ltrs (tank size is 1.2m "432ltrs") and replace it with salt water.

i tested my Phosphate now and the results are, a light baby blue colour = 0,25 mg/l

12. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

yes i notice that the bubbles only appear when my lighting is on, but at night all of them will disappear.

well in fact i got one of them and 2 red and blue hermit

thanks "

13. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

nothing... for the past month and a half.
    the last thing that i added to the tank was coral that i receive as a gift from a friend.[​IMG]

14. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

reason why i didn't purchase any TRIGGERS is because they aggressive "that's why they state on the web sites"...

15. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

are you shore about that?

because my Bi colour Blenny seems to be a bit over weight, like hes stomach wants to burst...

16. Tony

Tony

Absolutely.

17. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

cool thankd for the advice, one stress factor less

18. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

cool thanks for the advice, one stress factor less
    :)

19. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

just found out that my rocks is being infected too... but i dont think its true!
    My figi rock is busy "turning red/ maroon iesh"... this guy told me that i should boil it in warm water to remove it fungus and clean out the aragonite "i thought that you shouldnt mess with your aragonite at all"

[​IMG]

20. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Your tank is showing all the signs of a normal (healthy) tank that has completed it's cycle, and which was stocked a little too quickly. It is normal to have cyano (although I suspect that what you see on the sand could be diatoms...) and then later hair algae. It is also normal, and good, to have all those little things growing on the rock - after all, you paid a lot of money for this "life" in the "live rock".

It is also normal for a beginner to stress and worry about every little thing in their tanks - so you are progressing normally as well :biggrin:

Looking at your last photo, I am a little concerned, though - it looks like there is a lot of dead sponge or whatever on the rock. If this is the case, then your tank could not be considered "cycled" until it has all rotten and decomposed, which might take another month or two. During this time, you really should not have any fish or inverts (corals) in your tank.

What stupid advise :nono:

So you pay a lot of money for your live rock, and then boil it and kill off ALL the life you have just paid so much for... I think not. As stated above, just let nature take it's time and let the tank mature properly, without adding any bio-load (fish and corals). Your tank will look great in another 3-6 months IF you are patient.

Hennie

21. da.low

da.low Thread Starter

thanks for your advice, it was very helpful.... really appreciate.

Recent Posts