White velvety substance in tank

Reaction score
Hi all. I came home this afternoon and found white stringy stuff on the corals and front tank window. Im only about 2 weeks in the game and quite nervous now. Please assist.

IMG-20160126-WA0006.jpg
this is what dwerg was finding on his LR and corals

Are you dosing anything?

Difficult to see anything in the pic but if the system is only two weeks old, it is probably just part of the cycle.

PS: Looks like a domino damsel in the back and they can get very aggressive (just food for thought if you wanting to keep any peaceful fish later on).

Reactions: EFJ
If your system has been running 2 weeks I would rather not add any livestock in it at the moment. It seems to be still going through its cycling process. Patience is the name of the game in reefing.

If your system has been running 2 weeks I would rather not add any livestock in it at the moment. It seems to be still going through its cycling process. Patience is the name of the game in reefing.
Was a existing tank that has been running for a long time. We just moved it to dwergs house.

Hi. I bought the complete system from a person that had it for about a year and just moved it to my house. It is that I am the newby. Luckily Dobby 027 was there to assist.

@Dwerg due to the move it could have released phosphates and nitrates that was trapped in the sand and rocks. What this means is that your setup is undergoing a cycle of sorts. Maybe look at doing a 15 to 20% water change to minimize the effects. Also see if you can maybe "vacuum" the loose fluff off the rocks etc. and try pulling out the tougher ones by hand if you can.

Back
Top Bottom