White stars

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wynandkui, 22 Jun 2009.

1. wynandkui

wynandkui

Hi, I am new to marine keeping but now after 4 months of letting my 3ft tank mature I have noticed tiny little specs on my glass resembling small spider like creatures. I tried photographing it but can not focus my camera so close. These specs sort of look like cotton fluff with a tine ball like center.

Anyone got an idea what these might be?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prodigy

Prodigy

Do they move?
    Can u not take a side view pic?
    Welcome to MASA

Last edited: 23 Jun 2009
  4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Wynandkui, and WELCOME to MASA.
    It's really not possible to identify the creatures from this description, but there are really miniature sea stars and brittle stars, and I have quite a few of them in my tank - they never grow larger than about 2mm in diameter, from arm tip to arm tip.

I have found that one can take a photo through a magnifying glass - focus the magnifying glass on the little critter, and then hold the camera at such a distance that it focuses on the magnified image - some times you can be lucky and take quite a nice photo this way...

Anyway, the little critters are probably not harmful (unless they are baby aiptasia anemones...), but we really need a photo to make any meaningful guess...

Hennie

5. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!||

6. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome Wynandkui

7. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA

8. frankie fish

frankie fish

Ja my broer, hoe ga dit? eks bly ek kry jou hier, hierdie site is nogal nice. hir's n paar pics van my tenk. stuur groet by die huis[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. inflames

inflames

Welome to MASA! Try get us some photo's!

10. Sentari

Sentari

Welcome!!!

Like the eel. What eel is that?

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi and Welcome to MASA - dont be afraid to ask as many questions even if they sound stupid to you but remember we were all asking those questions at some stage of keeping marines or the other - do they look like this coz if it is nothing to worry about they hydroids - its one of the signs the tank is maturing and a good sign - dont stress too much about - enjoy the journey[​IMG]

12. Sentari

Sentari

Maybe hydroids?

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi Sentari - its a snowflake moray eel - one of the most common eels kept by home aquariums - lovely fellows - not bad temperaments either like some of their cousins - but they will if have the opportunity devour anything that can fit in their mouths - plenty along the beachfront up here in KZN!

14. Sentari

Sentari

nice! doesnt it chomp anything in your tank? I would be too scared to put anything else in.

15. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

I'm the king of hydroids . . . And am slowly learning to not stress over them . . . At times there are so many in my tank that they gang up and hide my magnetic glass cleaner . . . Chill, they'll disappear eventually so I'm told :)

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

I didnt get one as yet - what I have is a leopard moray and he didn't play games with a sergeant major that I had put in was gone by the next morning! The problem with them they are excellent escape artist so the tank has to be pretty well sealed or you will find them like dried up biltong on the floor - I caught 2 the last trip and one bloody one did that so sad!

17. frankie fish

frankie fish

I got it from Port Edward, as well as the Moorish Idol,Couldn't believe my luck when i saw it in the rock pool

18. Sentari

Sentari

Very lucky! Hope you left the morish idol in the pool?

19. frankie fish

frankie fish

Nope, i caught it, and placed it in my tank,and all is going well. My personal opinion, self caught fish are stronger than imported ones

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

The real question: Is it eating ?

21. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

We're going a bit off-topic here (remember, we were discussing "white stars" on the glass...), and apologies for doing so, but I too am concerned about the Moorish Idol. Even if it IS eating, the question is "is it getting the required nutrients". Moorish Idols have a very specific dietary requirement, and they tend to starve to death over a few months, not only because they don't eat, but because they don't eat the right food. Unfortunately, it is close to impossible to supply the right food in a small aquarium - that is why it is advised to NOT buy a Moorish Idol from ANY shop.

On the positive side, many small Moorish Idols are "blown" south in the strong tropical current flowing past our east coast. The babies then become trapped in water too cold to survive when the seasons change and the tropical current moves away from the coast in winter (and I'm talking about the Cape and southern Transkei coasts, not the Natal coast). As these fish are destined to die during the winter in any case, I suppose any chance to save one would be better than nothing. I'm not sure of where this individual was caught, though, and cannot comment on the morality of this specific case, just commenting in general...

Hennie

Recent Posts