White spots on clownfish

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Meneer, 6 May 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

Looks like this comes from talking about it :(

My 1 Clown fish has 3 tiny white spots on him.
    Other clown has nothing.
    Regal Tang and Bicolor Blennie and Cleaner Wrasse is fine.

He is eating well, not rubbing against anything, and swimming around as normal.

How do I know if it is White spot?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

If it's small white spots, it's white spot.

If the fish is eating normally and behaving normally, then leave it. Feed it vitamin enriched foods just to give it's immune system a boost. Aqua Medic have some fish vitamins which I use.

Also, try get your hands on some herbtana. From what I hear, it does work.

HenkHugo likes this.
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you just leave the whitespot untreated then its not going to go away. Soon your regal will have it soon. Either you take the clown out and put him in a hospital tank or you use herbtana in your tank

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Guys,

In my experience, many cases of white spots developing on fish is NOT Cryptocarion irritans, so this might not be marine ich, and the spots might "miraculously" disappear for good in a day or two...

Obviously, one needs to make a correct diagnosis before one can properly treat the disease, and I would suggest that you carefully look at various photos of fish that is infected with C. irritans, and read up more on the symptoms. One sure indication is if the spots disappear for a few days, and then re-appear at a greater density. Obviously, you should also check for other symptoms such as scratching on rocks, gasping for air and/or increased rate of breathing (if the gills are infected, as they usually are...), loss of appetite and perhaps clouding of the eyes.

IMHO it would not be a bad idea to set up a hospital tank in the meantime (just in case it IS C. irritans, in which case you should treat ALL the fish with the hyposaline method...), and to perhaps (as a prophylactic) treat the DT with Herbtana, if you like.

Hennie

Recent Posts