white spot

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by paul bloem, 14 Mar 2009.

1. paul bloem

paul bloem

Hey all,

I have white spot in my tank I took my fish to treat.
    My question I have is; how do I now remove the parasite from my tank, before I put any fish back and if I add my fish will they get it again?

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Danish

Danish

As far as I understand it, the parasite is always in your tank, its just that your fish can be susceptible to the disease if they are under some kind of stress such as poor water quality/high ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels etc. I'm very new to all of this so not sure if i'm talking sense, but the best thing you can do is to make sure that whatever is causing stress to the fish is dealt with and then the fish will naturally be able to fend off white spot :thumbup:

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Remove the fish into a quarantine tank and leave the display tank for a minimum of 8 weeks, that way the eggs in the tank will have hatched and the young parasites will die off.

5. paul bloem

paul bloem Thread Starter

Hey Mike,

Can I leave my cleaner wrasse in there because he almost died in my quarantine tank so I did put him back? My banner also died. only left with the wrasse and two clowns.

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

No, any fish you leave in the tank will either die or allow the life cycle of C.Irritans to continue, you must leave your tank "fallow" for 8-10 weeks to stop it.

7. paul bloem

paul bloem Thread Starter

thanks Mike

now is the time to take your time.

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Good luck with it.

9. Achilles

Achilles

In my opinion , if you make definite diagnosis that it is whitespot and not some other disease like oodinium, Sometimes treating the fish just stresses them even more to the point that you kill them before you kill the whitespot.

It is a disease which can be managed , if water parameters are kept very consistent and of very good quality 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and very low nitrateless than 5ppm, allowing the fishes to build up partial or full immunity to it. One can also combat it by boosting the fishes immune systems by feeding them food laced with garlic (allicilin ) and brewers yeast (beta glucan).

Of course if you cant improve water quality fast then you must try to kill the parasite and again low salinity of 1.010 for a month is often sufficient to interrupt its life cycle if it is a real marine variant of cryptocaryon(you do get some variants which can survive at low salinities), this should be done in a quarantine or hospital tank as it kills most invertebrates and live rock, During this time the main reef display must be fishless for at least 8 weeks to make sure no reinfection occurs.

This is not a fool proof method , and therefore i find that managing the disease is often more practical by good water quality and boosting the fishes immune systems

Warr7207 likes this.
  10. Tony

Tony

The only way to completely get rid of white spot is to break the cycle. Ich needs a fish host and cannot survive without one hence the 28-30 day quarantine which is equavalent to the life cycle of ich depending on the temperature which may speed up the cycle. Immune system boosting as the other guys said is a good line of defense as the fish can resist the minor infections but those trophonts just fall off the fish and multiply hence the need to break the cycle

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

12. X Faktor

X Faktor

You can use hyposalinity where you run salinity at 1.010. You can also treat with Myxazin in the QT tank...

Recent Posts