White Spot

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by koeks, 25 Jul 2008.

1. koeks

koeks

Hey guys im new to this formum and marine fish keeping have had some past experiance diving for fish ect ect, i have recently set my tank up (3 weeks) and i have two little bullys and a small parot fish (i think) i have them in there just to mature the tank but he has white spot what i want to know is if a remove him and leave the tank to keep maturing for another 4 weeks or so do i still run the risk of getting white spot is is something in the water or must i medicate. This really is an awsome form i have not posted befor but i have done alot of reading. Any help will be appreciated guys.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ross

Ross

3 weeks and fish is to soon. You really can cycle without fish.
    I would find a new home for the fish and let the white spot die out. It will need a host and if it can not find any it will die in your tank.

4. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

WELCOME TO MASA

Your tanks needs to cycle for at least a month without fish
    Easy way to get rid of WS is increasing temp to 30C and lower the S.g to 1.019( this can be done if you don't have any inverts in system)
    And then add some CAL-C-VITA to boost imune system of the fish

Good luck

5. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

Hi koeks : that disease is extremely contaqios it develop when there is a drop in your water temperature. you can tread it by rasing your water temp or with formol

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very warm WELCOME to MASA Koeks! Just try and make sure that the fish eat healthily. You can also of course try medication, ie: Myxazin. Otherwise, try and dunk the food in fresh garlic (freshly crushed), and then feed the fish - this could possibly also work...

7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

If your fish has whitespot or cryptocaryon irritanz as it is properly known, then there is only one possible correct proceedure, try to ignore the myth surrounding whitespot, that garlic or reefsafe medicines can cure it, quite simply they won't, if you are lucky enough to have fit strong well fed fish they may be able to survive the final stage of the life of the parasite, that being attached to, and eating the flesh of, your fish, they drop off and spawn (it is at this point most reefers believe they have beaten the parasite, but it will be dormant in the shape of eggs and the cycle will soon begin.
    So back to curing white spot, quarantine and treat with copper, that way you will finally irradicate the parasite from your tank, you cannot treat the tank with copper as the parasite is an invert and the copper will kill - and go on killing all the inverts in your tank.

8. koeks

koeks Thread Starter

thanks for all the help there guys i appreciate that, just to make sure on this when you say cal c vita do you mean the one that people take or is it a special fish one, just checking. the tank is doing very well got two hermit crabs and two snails in the tank and the nitrate level is ast about .4 so gonna let it cycle for another 4 weeks (or next payday to be exact.) thanks for the help once again.

9. Furbz

Furbz

reading this tread makes me bleak. i am assuming that cos my fish overnight seem to have bin cured in my tank, means the parasite has now just dropped off. oh joy

10. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Sorry dude, but yes, the parasite is still in your tank, on the up side your fish are still alive though and they can build up an imunity as long as they are healthy, but QT of 10 weeks leaving the tank fallow (no fish) will kill the parasite completely.

Recent Posts