White spot??????

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Gazzer, 17 Jul 2012.

1. Gazzer

Gazzer

I am currently looking to get RID of white spot once and for all, i want to introduce a regal tang into my tank but seem to be having problems due to this aweful parisite. There are a few things that come to mind when thinking of this solution.

I have a reef system that is approximately 300l. I'd like to introduce a regal tang so my thinking was to quarinteen( this will involve catching all my existing) fish and placing them in the quarinteen tank and then put the new regal in with them. I could then dose the fish with hurbtana as it is non copper based. (regal tang can not tolerate copper) once the wire spot cycle has passed (2 weeks) the fish should be white spot free and the tank free as there is no host. I will then be able to place my fish back into the tank and hopefully have a healthy regal tang.

The next issue I have is I would like to know if invertabrits carry white spot and if corals carry it as well. Say for instance if I buy a new coral what would I need to do? And will I need to quarinteen my shrimp, snail, hermit crab and starfish?

Gazzer

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Your tank is too small for a regal tang.

4. Gazzer

Gazzer Thread Starter

That's not the topic of the conversation.....

5. Helga

Helga

It might not be the topic of conversation at the moment, but i can guarentee you once the Regal have been introduced into a 300l tank it will soon enough become the topic of conversation.
    Regals grow very quickly and are very "big and boysterous" fish. They need lots of swim space. an unhappy stressed Regal Tang is a perfect host for ich. It will just be a matter of time before he has the parasite. I'm not sure what other fish you will have in the system. Adding more Tangs or other similar sized fish will just aggrevate the situation....

o

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Regal tang can tolerate copper. Two weeks is not the length of the white spots life cycle. Herbtana does not cure white spot, it enhances the fishes immune system to combat it.
    Stress, including too small a tank, will lower the fishes immune system and thus increase its chances of getting sick.
    The topic is white spot, but putting a fish in too small a tank is still a concern.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

rather 6 weeks, Tomonts can easily take to 28 days to hatch

Actually yes. Tomonts can cement themselves to any hard surface, like the shells used by hermits. shrimps and starfish I doubt.

8. DeanT

DeanT Dean

introduce ozone and UV to the tank , to ensure you have removed anything in the water .
    this will ensure water is parasite free.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

only affecting the water passing the unit.
    UV is only effective 3 months, then tube needs replacing.

Mature whitespot Throphonts fall off the fish, after sundown - meaning they fall off where the fish sleeps. The Tomonts hatch before sunrise - meaning they hatch were the fish sleeps. Bloody clever things, they maximize their change of finding a host in the natural reefs. In our closed systems its just so much easier. And with UV and or ozone used as the solution, you need to ensure that Tomites pass through the unit before they reach the fish. But they hatch there where the fish sleeps.... hmmm, eish. Not a solution to me.

10. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@RiaanP
    fully agree , that this could be questioned , but think about the amount of water that would pass through a UV unit , and if you had ozone , the the contact time with ozone , during the course of a 6 hr (night ) period, depending on flow in a system and return pump in the tank.
    this would sure make a difference to the amount of whitespot in the tank.

would keeping the tank in the dark , make a difference to when the Tomonts hatch , is it a time period they work on ?, or are they sensitive to the light change from dark to night and therefore hatch , when there is a change.

maybe the use of ozone and UV , and keeping the tank blacked out for a longer period , will assist in eradicating this problem.

this maybe a interesting discussion elsewhere

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Jayceew

Jayceew

In my mind it's almost impossible to ever get rid of whitespot, your fish just get immune to it and then the new fish gets it again from the stress.

My opinion is just get the fish as comfortable as possible as soon as possible and feed them plenty of whatever they like to eat. Best defence is their natural immune system, no gimmicks.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

they take anything from 3 to 28 days to hatch. Depending on temperature. So to be sure they do not hatch you need to black out the tank for a month? Easier to remove the fish to another system.

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Just to clarify, a system needs to run for 9 weeks fishless to be completely certain the parasite is gone. There has been quite a bit of research done on this, and that's the number. 8 weeks is usually ok, but depending on conditions and strain it can take longer.

14. Gazzer

Gazzer Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys I understand with the whole tank size thing and am aware that my tank is 2 small I was just a bit interested in finding out if there is a way to get rid of white spot once you have it in your tank. @RiaanP would using a uv sterilizer on urnquarinteen tank be more effective? And what would u need to do to ensure you do not introduce it into your tank with corals? Would they also need to go through a full quarinteen cycle?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not use UV neither do I think they are effective.

Reason, the globes last only 3 months, then they must be replaced. The done and useless then. So on about 6 weeks they are only 50% effective. Hmmm....

and you know the dirt build up on your tank sides, for what you need to clean the tank with the magnet. The same builds up on the glass inside the UV. Blocking the light from reaching the intended bacteria in the water.

Too big a pump, and the bacteria is out the other side before being fried. Too small and you do not get to all in the tank as you want to.

If you did the bucket method correctly, then there should be nothing in your quarantine.

You cannot use your quarantine for the bucket method.

Recent Posts