Urgent help needed White spot

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by raytone, 18 Apr 2012.

1. raytone

raytone Raytone

Hallo all. I bought a copperband and got lazy to do a proper quarantine. Now all my fish got whitespot. Took all fish out of DT and into a QT to do the bucket method ( @RiaanP ). This is now the sixth day in QT but lost my bangai cardinal yesterday. Most of the fish are not eating now. Please help me :(

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Apr 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Are they in QT, or are you doing the bucket method?
    Bucket they must move to next bucket every day or two. Never more than 2.

If in just another tank, the WS will fall off, and depending on water temperature, they will hatch within a few days, re-infecting the fish, actually making it worst because the fish are now in closer proximity. In nature WS got a very low infection rate. But in our closed little tanks, the rate is extremely high.

4. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear of your loss dude. WS is never fun :(

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Apr 2012
  5. brentch

brentch

Would it not be helpful to someone with expensive livestock to protect their tank? I understand this is not nice for the LFS, but personally I would like to know that the livestock I am buying is healthy... I know it is the customers responsibility to QT fish and coral, but it's also the LFS responsibility to sell healthy fish, or cure them before selling to the public?

I don't mean to disrespect anyone, and mods please take this post down if you feel what I am saying is uncalled for.... but I feel for Raytone... Losing livestock to disease is extremely disheartening, especially when one has spent many hours and allot of money on trying to raise a healthy tank.

I hope you sort your problem out, I have had whitespot in my tank before. I used the bucket method along with Herbtana in each bucket. So every day or two days when you are changing buckets, add a little Herbtana as well. It helps remove the parasite and it also helps improves the fishes health... Seachem make something called stress gaurd. It's similar to prime. Maybe use that too. This worked for me. My fish were pretty well covered and weren't eating. I used the bucket method along with the two mentioned chemicals and within a few days of rotating buckets and adding the two medications, the fish were eating. All the white spot had disappeared. And after 2 weeks I put them back in the tank. I haven't had WS since...

Good luck!

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

please stick to the topic.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Naming and shaming a LFS due to WS is like blaming the teacher if your kid fails.

It is up to you to quarantine.

It is extremely naive of you to expect completely healthy tanks at an LFS where a lot of fish comes in, stay a few days and are sold as quickly as possible. Check out some sale threads where the LFS posted his landing stock list and see the Dibs posted. Some fish are out of there by close of business. There is no way that the LFS can ensure healthy fish. One sick fish, dropping a few stomonts can and will infect all the other fish in that system, including all new stock for the next 2 to 3 weeks. If the sick fish is removed after dropping one stomont, it is too late. System is infected. There is no way the LFS can guarantee that your fish did not pick of one WS parasite 10 minutes ago.

So naming and shaming is pointless. Any LFS can and will have sick fish.

You have to quarantine your fish and corals.

ziyaadb likes this.
  8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

If you're keeping whitespot prone fish like butterflies and surgeons then you pretty much always want to quarantine. Almost every fish at every LFS is likely carrying whitespot and/or other diseases even if it's not showing symptoms. The cramped conditions + shipping stress make it flourish and most LFS don't treat the fish properly for or keep them in treatment for long enough before selling.

I recommend hyposalinity treatment for about 4 weeks in a dedicated quarantine tank. It's the safest, easiest and cheapest method for getting rid of whitespot and you can use it for about 95% of fish species. You can simultaneously treat for flukes and internal parasites too with something like Prazipro. Unlike copper treatments, it's safe at lower salinities.

9. brentch

brentch

Well I guess that makes me naive (i really am)!:lol:

Yes I see you're point, the next time I visit the LFS i'll take that into account... I guess it also helps that some LFS also guarantee their fish for the first week or two...

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that is not quarantine on WS. That is only a guarantee that the fish do eat.

11. brentch

brentch

There's one in Durban that guarantees their fish for two weeks. If they die within that time you can get your money back... I was under the impression that covered disease too??? If not, is it only if they die because they are not eating?

12. brentch

brentch

Sorry, I've hijacked this thread.... My bad...:blush:

13. disco

disco

seachem makes a product called paraguard. Does this work in treating whitespot?

14. brentch

brentch

Off the SeaChem website....
    ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. For use in freshwater or marine.

15. brentch

brentch

Metronidazole™ is an effective and safe treatment for several protozoan and anaerobic bacterial diseases of fish (Cryptocaryon, Hexamita, Ichthyophthirius). It does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon. There is little danger of overdosing. Usual dose is 125 mg/10 gallons.

16. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

I have seen cleaner shrimp clean up white spot very, very effectively - do you have access to any? - the conditions in a quarantine tank and (definitely) in buckets, is not as stress-free as in the display tank and sensitive fish become more stressed, which lowers their immune system even more. Stress causes problems with osmoregulation and diminishes the effectiveness of white cells. Stress can and typically kills fish (as does white spot). I try to keep fish in the display tank and add a number of cleaner shrimp, if at all feasible (I do quarantine by the way and seriously believe in it).

The bucket method can work (well) but requires attention to details, such as heating the water and keeping the fish as relaxed as possible (add plastic pipes for the to shelter in and keep the buckets as dark or in very subdued light). Use mature sea water and move the fish as required.

17. rakabos

rakabos

I have also seen a cleaner shrimp mob a ws infected Regal tang with my own eyes. I honestly dont think they help that much after the infection is there already though.

If u try and wait it out in the DT you will have losses, 100% guaranteed unless u have more hardy kinds of fish. Bucket method is best if its severe.

18. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

As always, the devil is in the detail - a lot of factors affect the outcome -

How experienced is the aquarist

At what stage is the disease

What species of fish are being kept / are diseased

What age / size are the fish

In what condition were they prior to the outbreak

I saw a Juvenile king angelfish in a dealers store (just landed) which was covered with white spot (probably the worst case I have seen). I was dead keen on the fish (you don't see that many in SA dealers) and took it despite its serious condition (a queen angelfish - also covered in white spot came in on the same shipment. The queen was dead the following afternoon).

I put the king in a tank with a pair of cleaner shrimp and the next morning there was a huge improvement. The following day, there was no white spot on the fish. It went into a display tank, grew into an adult and lived for years (until some workers unplugged the heaters after a move).

19. raytone

raytone Thread Starter Raytone

I just explained what happened. never blamed them because i was suppose to quarantine the fish. So i did the bucket method and change the fish every two days to a new bucket. Bought a 5 micron filter and filter 50% of water to a new tank, add the fish and then drip another 50% water from DT to bucket. Leave the lights off add keep temp to 20*C. The other fishes are clear now but the copperband still got alot of visable WS on all the fins. It's not falling off because i see the same spots every night. What else?

20. raytone

raytone Thread Starter Raytone

Here is a pic of the copperband

[​IMG]

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

@raytone
    sorry my comment was not directed to you. I find no problem in you saying where you bought the fish. Just other comments posted that is now deleted that implied naming and shaming. Sorry if my comment feels directed at you.

Not sure why the WS stay on the copperband. How many days in total did you do the bucket method? Unless the fish got re-infected somehow.

Just note that if the Copperband was in your display and did drop any Stomonts, then your display can have another outbreak.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts