Urgent help needed White spot

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ZaxXx, 9 Nov 2011.

1. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Freaking out here!
    First time im having white spot!
    I noticed it on the strawberry gamma that i got a few weeks ago but i tort it would go away but now ALL my fish have it ...
    Its not possible for me to catch them out and i dont have a 2nd tank to treat them. What can i do in my situation????

Last edited: 9 Nov 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mytank

mytank

There is an excellent thread on how to treat it by @RiaanP its a pia but nothing is worse than losing live stock and white spot is a b@st@RD. I hate. It and have to attend to it too. My purple tang goes. Through patches where for weeks he has nothing then it comes back and goes away etc etc.....

His thread is really good!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

I read his tread but I don't have the equipment to do that and I can't catch all of them out.

5. mytank

mytank

I met Rory at @Nemo janitors MASA meeting. He had some different views and or solution he uses for white spot not sure of his Nic maybe @RiaanP @Nemo janitor can point that put. Some thing you add to the tank starting with a H or a uv filter but remember I M a newbie .......

6. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Alright... Thanks man.
    I heard once yÒυ get this you'll always have this problem. That's REALLY kak to know! :-(

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nothing you do will help with whitespot while in the tank.

You cannot treat the whitespot on the fish, its under the fish scales or on the gills. The ones under scales is within the protective slime coating. So unless you got something that can penetrate the slime, you will not be able to treat it on the fish.
    When it falls off, you got a few hours to treat it. Once it reach the substrate and encysts nothing can touch it. Except hypo salinity that breaks down a big percentage of the cysts. But some do survive. Hatching and you have another 8 to 18 hours to kill the parasite. BEFORE it can reach the host.
    Then WS is clever. They fall of mostly at night, before midnight. So they fall off where the fish sleeps. And they hatch just before dawn. Where the fish sleeps. That helps them in being able to find a host.
    The goal is to remove the WS from the fish. But you cannot treat the fish in the display environment.
    My opinion, the only solution is to remove the environment from the fish.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

not really.
    If you remove ALL the fish from the system for 6 weeks. Then your system is WS free. They hatch and there is no hosts. Until the next time you introduce a sick fish.

9. ZaxXx

ZaxXx Thread Starter

Does the quarentine tank need to be a WHOLE new system??

10. mytank

mytank

I recon @RiaanP should offer WS removal services since he has the setup :)

11. jacoc

jacoc

I’m no expert but common sense tells you the fish was probably stressed out when caught and placed in a bag when you bought it...there is no way for anyone to guarantee that by catching it again and back and forth in to a new bucket of water every day it will survive....this is a sure way to end up killing a healthy specimen if not done with the atmost care...if the fish was w/s free at the lfs it got stressed out while caught and placed in a bag and transported and in between releasing it again in your tank...
    Here is what I would do first...switch the blue lights of and increase the water temp slightly drop the salinity a bit and shorten the white light cycle wait it out a few days (3 max) You might want to do this and skip the waiting as it’s been a few days already and you need to do something now before its to late...Then I will use a product called (Myxazin from waterlife) follow the instructions on the bottle to the T..with all gadgets turned off except heater and circulation /filter pump and still do the lights and temp/ salinity... Witch you can add to the tank WHITCH IS REEF SAFE IF USED AS DIRECTED ON THE BOTTLE...it kills free swimming w/s larva stage and also other diseases in the system ad it at night just after lights out and when feeding soak the food in fish oil for a while before you give to the fish...if you done all this for a few days( 3-5 max) and the fish only gets worst then try all sorts of other ways as the fish will probably die any ways...any lfs or experienced guy that is his salt worth will tell you the same...the qt way can work if when first you bought it you introduced it to a qt system treat it there and thereafter introduce it to your tank even then it can stress and get w/s again as you now can stress it out all over again...now by trying to catch it in your dt you stress all the other tank mates as well ...then the w/s gets the blame for the other fish in the tank getting sick...instead of you whom stressed out the inmates...you need to leave them so they can get use to the tank environment so this don’t happen every time you walk past the tank they get stressed... first do the as close to natural way treatments...then try chemical and whatever other human way you prefer...
    All the best...

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

Microbe lift treatments?! I have heard they have products that work well but i have not had whitespot to try it on. maybe someone has experience on effectiveness of these products?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope, but close to it.
    Do not need gravel.
    If you did bucket method the fish, then any 2foot or 3foot tank would do. All needed is one small powerhead, a hang on filter (as in use for freshwater), heater, and its own net. Put eggcrate over to prevent jumping.

Not a lot of live rock either. With rock and you have territories and fighting. Look at simple LFS setup, basically the same. That is if you bucket them before hand. Else no rock, as the cyst will also cement onto the liverock, the same as the substrate.

Can use a big plastic tub as well. Siphon bottom clean every day. Small powerhead will allow things to settle, so it should be easier. Frequent small water changes.

Having a complete separate system is a lot better. But not always feasible.

Simplest solution is a standard Daro tank, with ONE divider (creating a return chamber). Water falls over into return, so the muck at the top is sorted. Can fill the area around return pump with bio-balls for extra filtration.

Remember, the fish have to stay in this system for up to 6 weeks minimum. Until your display is clean. So they must be happy.

Corals, hermits snails etc, should stay in display.

and remember to feed the empty display tank as well. The hermits, snails and worms also needs food. Just do not over do it.

14. rob189

rob189

like what i did...tank fishless for 2 months. Quarinteened my first set of fish, then i got lazy...now i have WS :p

15. rob189

rob189

i heard that a fish can build up an immunity to WS...uhh is it true? it would explain alot

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First - know your enemy
    [​IMG]

That would speed up the cycle. The 3 to 7 days its on the fish, will make it shorter.
    The period its in the cyst, will make it shorter. In my opinion, lessen the effectiveness of hypo salinity. So if you hypo, rather drop the temperature.

Medicine effective in the drop off and infective stages only. And all the cyst do not hatch the same day. So you need to do the medicine thing from day 3 to day 28. Higher temp, and yes, the period could be slower. Higher temps is actually beneficial to WS

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes its true, especially to a certain strain of WS. Like you with flu. But somebody else from Mexico visits SA and we get a new strain of flu virus, and you are sick again.

And somewhere I had a link that claim that after about 10 cycles, the WS dies out. Providing you add no new fish in that period. And this is about 6 months. That is why you will see guys commenting that he had WS, and it goes away, return, go away.... Until he is clean. But any new fish added within this period that is not immune, builds up the WS population again.

18. rob189

rob189

makes sense.. thanks.:thumbup:

19. Yuri

Yuri

Recent Posts