Urgent help needed White Spot

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Skumbuza, 17 Jul 2011.

1. Skumbuza

Skumbuza

Hey MAsa !
    Until today, my tank has been thriving ! All live stock doing well !
    My pride and joy, Ashley the Flame Angel has started to break out with white spot !
    Why could this be and what can i do to save him !
    All suggestions appreciated !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Check all water parameters, the outbreak of disease is normally caused through stress. If the fish is still eating, continue to feed and he should be able to fight off the disease but try find where the stress is coming from.

4. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

Alan, thanks for your quick response !
    I don't want to sound like an idiot here, but the problem could be this...
    When my sump was made, the LFS made my DSB only 70mm deep. I've been meaning to get it sorted but have been too scared !
    Today i've bypassed my dsb with a canister filter whilst the silicone dries. (extened DSB wall to 200mm), so my return has been cut down big time. the silicone was done at about 2pm today. It's touch dry but i don't wanna chance it ! I just can't lose my flame angel ! what's your opinion bud ?

5. Alan

So for all intents and purposes you have bypassed your filtration system, you may have a rise in ammonia. My suggestion here would be to get hold of a bottle of Microbe lift Special blend and give the system a good dose of bacteria.

6. Tony

Tony

If the fish is fat and eating it should fight off the white spot. You can soak the food in amino acids and garlic and feed it three to four times a day to boost the fish's immune system. I have personally found this best with a mild outbreak of white spot. If the fish is lethargic, covered in white spots and not eating you will have to quarantine it at treat it with more radical treatments like copper.

7. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

Thanks for the assistance guys ! He's not eating. Mild traces at this point. Not completely covered. I took a hair dryer to the silicone (very thin- 3mm) to help it dry. It's gone white and not smelling strong. I'll definitely get some microbe tomorrow and see how things progress. Tanks running back to normal. Do full run of tests within the next 2 hours and see how things progress from there. Any other advice will be appreciated !
    Many thanks once again !

8. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

What would cause the level of the bubbles in my skimmer to drop ?! Any knowledge on that ?!
    Could be one tell tale sign of what's cutting !

9. Alan

My guess would be working in the tank or feeding, give it a couple of hours.

Skumbuza likes this.
  10. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

cool. busy waiting for ammonia results, will post as soon as !

11. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

Ammonia : 0 - 0.1 mg/l.
    You think Microbe lift Special blend is still necessary?

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
  12. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

Read up on it and it says better used in conjunction with activated carbon ?!

13. Alan

See if it rises any higher tomorrow, its never a bad idea to add a bacterial suppliment to your tank as a bit of maintenance, it ensures a variety of bacteria in the system.

14. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

Thank you so much for that !
    I've been adding purple up & kalkwasser on alternate days every morning.
    Read up on Microbe lift Special blend & seems that it will help with the cycling of the tank & also bacteria on a whole.
    I'm still getting diatoms in the tank. I'm assuming that this will assist with it.
    (1000L tank, going on 3 months)
    I haven't lost anything in my tank yet, other than a torch coral getting brown jelly disease. (Most of it died off in a matter of days. Seems like the middle, top section is still ok though)
    This problem with my flame angel has left me rather despondent, but your assistance has picked me up a bit.
    Yet another chapter in this exciting hobby !(when no casualties are involved !)
    Many Thanks once again !
    oh and would u recommend using carbon with Microbe lift Special blend ?

15. Alan

Losses are often tough to swallow as we always blame ourselves, unfortunately dealing with livestock, losses are often unavoidable and do happen. So don't beat yourself up too badly, when its your fault just learn from the mistake, when its not your fault that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
    I use microbe lift and don't run carbon at the moment, i think either way is fine its up to you. Personally i have had no side affects from Special Blend without carbon.

16. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

Well today was the day ! Found my fish lying at the bottom of the tank !
    Even though i feel that i have myself to blame, i spoke to a clued up guy from my LFS (not where i bought the angel from), he's kinda shocked that the fish arrived on tue/wed & was sold on fri. Maybe his death was inevitable ! Apparently they meant to keep them for 5 day quarantine. Not sure how true this is ! What's u reckon ?!
    If so i can't feel half that bad ! Take it as a learning curve & move forward !

Oh and guys that sold me the angel, tested my water today & everything looks on par... other than ph 8.6.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2011
  17. Alan

Nah, dont blame yourself if the fish was sold so quickly and still new in your tank, its one for the way the cookie crumbles. Next time maybe put a deposit on the fish and collect once the fish has been in the LFS tank for about 2 weeks and is eating.

18. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi skumbuza

I agree with Alan. You have affected the biological cycle of the tank. Question you bypassed you dsb. Did you interfere with the sand in you existing dsb. How old is your tank. What i don't agree with is the whitespot. Many a time whitespot is misdiagnosed. Are the fish showing symptom eg flashing etc? If so the change in water parameters only brought up an underlying issue that would crop up again if water parameters went out again.

If it is whitespot, you have to quarantine and keep the tank fallow to ensure none of this occur again

Cheers!
    Willie

19. Alan

Sorry dont agree at all, you can run a tank as fallow as you like and quarantine a Powder Blue, Regal or Achillies as long as you like, put them in that tank and for the first few weeks they will have white spot.

jacoc likes this.
  20. Skumbuza

Skumbuza Thread Starter

fallow ?!

21. jacoc

jacoc

@Alan...I cant agree more...I’ve been seeing the white spot post for ever here and especially with the tang family even after qt within weeks the w/s return and the cycle start again back to qt. and then back to dt again...That method does not resolve the stress factor and every time you put a net to the tank you stress the living crap out of them...treatment in the system always has worked for me and that is my experience...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts