white spot

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by charlv, 1 Dec 2009.

1. charlv

charlv

Hi all

Please need some help here. Got regal last week but now he's full of white spot. They say i must turn up the water temp to 29-30c bit scared to do this. he's eating very well. Can anyone advice me what to do

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Can you perhaps place the regal into a quarantine or hospital tank?
    Then dose copper based medicine?

4. Boendoe

Boendoe

Hi Charl

Regals are white spot magnets, especially when the are a new addition to your tank. I would not up the temp as it will only stress it out more. I if you feed it well, it should make it. Try and give it some nori to get it to eat. That's how I got mine to survive the white spot, but if you can take it out of your display and put it in a hospital tank and dose it with some coper based medicine. Don't how ever do it in the display, all your coral and inverts will die form the coper.

Some times cleaner shrimp could also help but is't not a guarantee.

Good Luck I hope it makes it.

5. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Mmmmm, I wrote an article on White Spot a few weeks ago. Unfortunatly Blue Regals are the most susceptible to White Spot. Do NOT turn the temperature up. Please find the link for my article and go read as it will help with all your future White Spot issues!;)

White Spot Revealed!! - General Discussions

6. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

thanks for the replies and no i don't have a hospital tank must i just leave him to settle in
    clowns no prob
    blenny no prob
    six line wrass no prob
    and pink spotted goby is fine

7. Boendoe

Boendoe

I'll leave him to settle in, How big is you tank and how big is the Regal?

8. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

918L x 605W x 600H (DT)
    800L x 450W x 400H Sump

Regal i will say medium to small

9. Boendoe

Boendoe

Cool it might be a bit small for the Regal but it seem that you don't have too much other fish. Just don't over stock the tank as that will also stress the fish out. However it will out grow your tank as they can grow up to 30cm

10. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

My fish selection almost done that's why i got him small want to build bigger tank before his that big:) i will post pic of tank later o yes thanks for all the help

11. Annoying

Annoying

He should be fine if he is eating then hill have enough imunity to fight of the bacterie. If he begins to lose colour and los his appetite I would take him out and quarintine him. If he's doing ok now just leave him, any netting could just make it worse.

12. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Thank you Annoying i will leave him and keep you posted;)

13. Annoying

Annoying

Please do.

14. Jinx

Jinx

I also introduced a Regal tang into my system a few weeks back.He also got white spot due to the stress.I have a U.V sterilizer on my system, which will eliminate all the white spot as soon as it leaves the host to multiply...

I suggest you also get yourself one,its good to use it when one adds live stock to ones system.I use mine 24/7.

15. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Be careful, white spots is not a funny game.

I posted this in the other thread!

Marine Ich can be introduced to the DT with anything you add. Liverock, corals, algae, etc.
    It would be interesting to know, which LFS quarantines the newly imported fish and which LFS not. I don´t know any LFS in CT, who does quarantine newly imported fish.
    There where the problem starts. Imported fish gets introduced to the LFS system, infects other fish (maybe not if they are healthy). At least the parasite is in the system, waiting for the weaker host. I know, space in the hobby is very limited, but everybody should have a 60cm tank as quarantene tank somewhere. Maybe there is space in the garage or the scullery.
    I have learnt my lesson with Marine Ich. I lost within a few days 450 fish (250 regular ocellaris and 200 albinos). Hyposalinity was not possible, because the fishes where just through the metamorphosis and not weant at this stage. Besides that, I did not have a QT and never experienced Marine Ich. I am in the hobby since 1995 and never had a problem with MI in Germany.
    After I moved all my livestock into my new breeding room, I set up a cube in my livingroom. I introduced my pair of orange skunks, one Goldie and five albinos.
    The MI broke out. I thought, it came and it will go. It always does. It goes to multiply and to come back as an army of parasites. All the fish in the cube had a few white spots on their fins. Nothing major, but one morning, they were covered with white spots. One Albino dead, four were on their way. The skunks and the goldie are bigger and they had again only a few white spots. I bought quickly a QT and put the infected fish in the QT with the same water parameter then the cube.
    Within 12 hours, I dropped the salinity to 1.009. And saved their lives. After six weeks, I put them back into the cube.
    My advice, based on my experience with MI.
    Normal looking, but infected fish has to go on hyposalinity, if MI is visible for a few days. Slowly decreasing from 1.024 to 1.009 within 48 hours.
    Dying fish has to swim in 1.009 within a few hours. The only way to keep them alive.
    I did not syhon the QT at all during hypo. It is a waste of time and the parasite is going to hell in anyway.
    :hang:

16. charlv

charlv Thread Starter

Thanks for reply LuckyFish

If you keep them in QT tank do you do water changes in that 6 weeks and do you use your DT tanks water to fill QT tank

17. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I did not change any water. My filter was working well, so there was no need.
    I only had to top up RO water, to keep 1.009.
    I would not use the water from the DT.

For a QT you need the cheapest tank with lid or canopy. No lights, room light is enough. The cheapest heater and the cheapest powerhead.

I made a filter from a PicknPay yoghurt tub 1 litre. I drilled a hole in the bottom for the powerhead and below the lid lots of 5 mm holes. I put ceramic rings from my display filter into the tub.

[​IMG]

18. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

It is really bad advice to leave the Regal in the display and hope that its own immune system will fight the white spot.:nono:

You will then never have a white spot free system. As soon as something goes wrong with your water parameters or something breaks down that causes the fish to stress the white spot will be back.

There is only one way to do this right, and that is the correct way.

Not sure if you have read the thread I posted above, but i'm not willing to gample with all my fishes lives everytime I put a new fish in the display tank.

I had many healthy fish in my system for over 4 months, and one day I got a regal. As you can guess, it got white spot and infected all my other fish about a week later. I lost all my fish expept the clowns!:(

Although Regals are the most susceptible to white spot, they are pretty tough fish. It can stay infected with white spot for up to 2 weeks before it eventually dies. And while he is alive the white spot just multiplies and multiplies attacking the other fish just harder and harder!

I'm sorry if it sounds like i'm coming on to strong, but in this hobby one needs to do things the correct way. Do proper research as I have learned that trying to take short cuts, will cost you loads of money, lots of frustration and even wanting to leave this great hobby.;)

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A few weeks back Anthony Calfso visited Idol Marine. And QT was discussed.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Luckyfish - I like your "cannister" filter. What is the airline tube for?

And filterwool instead of ceramic rings, will it work as well.

(I do not have ceramic rings)

21. Jinx

Jinx

Recent Posts