Urgent help needed White spot - which option to take?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Brandon WJ, 26 Nov 2014.

1. Brandon WJ

Brandon WJ

Hey guys

White stop problem again is knocking on my door.
    I have noticed all my fish are at the beginning stages of white spot.

My problem, leaving for Cape Town in a week for a month.

Solutions:

If someone in the durban area can assist in quarantining the fish ( at my cost of course )
    2nd option taking out the fish and treating with Cupramine
    3rd option dropping salinity down? it is already at 1.022 what is the ideal salinity level to drop it too bearing in mind i have soft & LPS corals?

Your assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated as i do not really have any quarantine facilities at the moment and timing here is important and i do not want to loose any fish.

NB: all parameters are normal and all the fish are new fish recently placed in the main DT.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Criggy

Criggy

Most LPS require sal of 1,023. If they are eating well try and feed then garlic, boyds vitachem, aminos etc. All methods will manage the ws but will not remove it from your system. The only way to remove for good is the bucket system and leave the tank running dormant for 8 weeks to kill the ws.

4. Istio

Istio

Idol Marine recently posted on the efficacy of properly spec'd UV. Maybe speak to them and install one to control the infective tomites .

5. Brandon WJ

Brandon WJ Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.
    I understand the life cycle however my concern in taking them out would be the stress levels.
    I know in the past the on real and sure why would be the treatment of copper.
    but then again i am faced with the fact i am going away and i also don't have a spare tank.
    i do have a storage container i can use but would need to get another heater and pump?
    Does anyone have a spare heater or flow pump i can buy?

With regards to treating them in the tank with garlic and vitamins, how successful is this really?

6. Criggy

Criggy

The use of vitamins is effective at managing the situation- as long as they are feeding. Without the introduction of any new ws to the system if you manage the situation aor approx a year there is a study that shows that the ws becomes weaker and eventually dies away. If you are going away my recommendation is deal with it until you are back and can use an effective means of removing from the fish and the system completely. If the feeding does not work look into herbtana which is a natural immune booster. When introducing new species look at a qt system going forward.

7. Istio

Istio

8. Criggy

Criggy

I used garlic guard, aminos and vitachem succesfully to manage the ws on my tangs and eventually used the bucket system and kept my dt fish free for 8 weeks. I reintroduced the fish back into the system on Monday. The result- a ws free system with happy ws free fish- touch wood

9. Brandon WJ

Brandon WJ Thread Starter

Why did you take them out besides getting rid of the ws in the dt? was the additives not working efficiently enough?

10. flappy

flappy

Solution is to bring your fish to Cape Town....:whistling:

11. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi Brandon

I am in durbs. got Cupramine and can help you with sorting I out. pm me your number

12. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

1.009 up to 3 months. great for fish bad for everything else.

Recent Posts