white spot what to do

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by YOLANDI1, 2 Jun 2012.

1. YOLANDI1

YOLANDI1

I everyone

Need some help please what to do with white spot in the tank
    And how long will it take to get rid of the white spot
    There is a maroon clown, domino, moray eel,shrimp,
    Hard & soft coral, 2x anemone in the tank the 2 fire fish
    Died and I am so sad about that don't want to loose the
    Other fish please help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Yolandi , the outbreak of WS is not the end of the world. You have quite a few strange tank mates there. Domino's are aggressive fish , Maroon Clowns also...add an eel to the mix and you are heading for disaster.

Fire fish are peacefull guys and should not be kept in a setup housing aggro guys.

Unless you want to take out the fish and keep them in a QT tank where you can use copper based meds to treat them, best bet would be Herbtana (AND USE IT AS DIRECTED).

WS is caused by stress related factors , so firstly try and eliminate them . This means good water quality as well

4. juan R

juan R

How old is your system and what are your water parameters? Stress does cause WS to fair up, so one must make sure that all parameters are correct. Make sure that the tank inmates are compatable with each other aswell, alot of fighting and aggresion can lead to WS outbreak.

5. raytone

raytone Raytone

6. marine101

marine101

3 ways to treat WS, hypo, cu and Bucket method.

I would use copper. There is no compelling evidence that anything (besides the 3) else works.

be careful with the eel though, gotta keep cu levels at lowest therapeutic level.

7. Philip Verity

Philip Verity

White spot

Yolandi, when having white spot, one must be careful with chemicals especially when it is copper based. It is a tedious task as the course that you have chosen has to run over a period of days.

What I personally would suggest is to run a UV directly from the tank and back again. i.e if you have a UV ,put the uv above the tank with the pump in the aquarium so the return water is directly back into the aquarium and let it run for a couple of days.

8. DeanT

DeanT Dean

i was unfortunate to experience the white spot problem.
    with my tank due to the size of it , i was unable to catch the fish and remove them from my display tank to try any methods.

i manage to borrow a OZone generator , and since then havent had any problems with WS .
    i am installing a UV this week end , hoping to avoid the dread in the future.
    while i have no experience in the other methods mentioned , i think the Ozone definately brought it under control and eliminated the chance of any other fish getting infected.
    the UV will also be run as a safe guard to keep the water as clean as possible

9. Wes

Wes

Hi Yolande,

White spot is prevalent in most tanks. IMO if fish are very healthy they may get the white spot but not succumbe to the after affects and infections that kill them, your best bet is to have really goodand healthy environment for the fish to build up an immune system that will naturally fight off the white spot, every new fish I get, gets white spot in my tank, they have it for max 3 days, visually, then it seems to slowly dissapear.

Healthy fish that's the key. IMO

10. YOLANDI1

YOLANDI1 Thread Starter

hey guys

thanks for all the advice, i used the QT don't know if i want fish in my tank think i must go with everything that's not to do with fish

Recent Posts