white spot treatment that works

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Marine Addict 777, 13 Aug 2016.

1. Marine Addict 777

Marine Addict 777

Hi All. I'm posting this thread because I have been a marine aquarist for just over 2yrs and the only thing I could never get right was a way in which to get rid of white spot in my tank. I have always had reef and fish aquariums and as most of you know,the most effective way to get rid of white spot is to use copper based products in a QT tank, however this was until I heard about Microbe-Lift Herbtana. I have a cream angel which was very badly infected by WS, so I decided to treat with ML Herbtana. I am only on my 4th day, however this angel is almost 100% healed and the treatment is for 10 days. With regards to my corals, all seem healthy and all fish are eating like little vacuum cleaners. The only 2 disadvantages are that my rbta stayed closed for 1 day but then again he gets upset for the slightest breeze in the wrong direction, by the 2nd day he was fine and the 2nd disadvantage is the water stays slightly merky for the entire treatment period ( I thinks its worth it though). I will post in a few days to keep you all up to speed. Please advise if anyone has tried herbtana and how effective was it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

I think you need to do a bit more research on whitespot. Go and study the life cycle and then report back

Last edited: 13 Aug 2016
  4. Marine Addict 777

Marine Addict 777 Thread Starter

Hi Dexter. I have, seems that's herbtana prevents the larvae stage, which will eventually stop the life cycle. Please add if I missed something, as I've said I'm only in this for 2yrs.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Give it 10 days to 2 weeks and it will be back due to the parasite life cycle, it always looks better until it comes back with a vengeance. There is no such thing as a reef safe cure unfortunately, despite claims to the contrary. Just logically a 'cure' that kills small animals like white spot parasites should also kill other small animals of which there are plenty in a reef aquarium, it will be impossible for any waterborne 'cure' to specifically target the parasites and leave everything else alone in a reef.

6. Moaazo

Moaazo

Ive been using orca res q med for 2 years now nd it has always helped my fish , aslong as you dose accordingly it works wonders
    Quarantine is also good I always quarantine my fish for 6 weeks whenever i buy from my LFS

7. Marine Addict 777

Thanks guys. @ Moaazo does resq med work better that herbtana?

8. Moaazo

Moaazo

For me yes it did bud

Your second option if res q med does not work is set up a basic quarantine take out your fish put them in there and run ur tank with no fish this way there wont be any hosts for white spot and they should die in 6-8 weeks

Use the res q med on the fish in quarantine aswell

One thing I also think really works is feeding with garlic guared and nori aswell because angel like to graze

What other fish do you have in your system?

9. flappy

flappy

Unfortunately there are lots of products that claim to be white spot cures for sale that are reef safe......there is no such effective product.
    As already mentioned the life cycle of the parasite dictates that after the cyst falls off the fish it lies on the bottom only to hatch into 300 more. It is during this time that the unsuspecting hobbyist thinks they have cured their fish.
    The only methods that have worked for me in 25 years have been treating the fish with Copper in Qt while leaving the display free from potential hosts or the transfer method...
    All the reef safe products I have seen are like treating cancer with herbs.

10. Marine Addict 777

I do feed brine soaked in garlic guard. Does res q med make the water all murky?

11. Marine Addict 777

Thanks Flappy. once you've quarantined them and put them back...2 part question 1. Does the WS come back after a while and 2. Does the copper stay on the fish.reason I'm asking is if you add fish back to dt and it still has traces of copper that would effect the coral and inverts in the tank, I think.

12. flappy

flappy

to answer your question,

1.The white spot will not be carried back into your display tank from the fish that have been effectively quarantined with the correct dosage of copper over the correct time period. You basically need the correct amount of copper in the water when the white spot hatches as its only during the free swimming stage that the copper can eliminate the parasite. As each egg will hatch at different times, it is generally accepted that a 40 day quarantine with the correct dose of copper in the water is a sure way of eliminating the parasite.
    Leaving the display tank without ANY fish during this time period is critical as leaving just one fish in the display to act as a host will waste all your time and effort....Leaving the display for 40 days like this will ensure any egg that hatches will not find a host and die...you can elevate your temp to a max of 28 degrees to speed up this process.

2.The copper is in the water and does not in any way stay on the fish, the copper in the water kills the parasite ONLY in the free swimming stage. The traces of copper that might or might not be on the fish when you transfer them back into the display tank is so small, if anything, it will not harm any inverts...
    I would personally quarantine the fish after the copper treatment without copper to ensure their is no more white spot anyway.

13. Marine Addict 777

Thank you Flappy. This puts things in perspective. I now need to get myself a quarantine tank. Thank you all for your advise.

14. Jacojs

Jacojs

@Marine Addict 777

I bought 2 clowns and quarintined them (on 2 June 2016) after I had a HUGE scare because my first clown pair got sick and died. 2 days before I reached the 4 week period of quarintine they started showing whitespot!! I did @RiaanP 's bucket transfer method for 8 days, transferring them daily and on day 8 I transferred them back to QT.

On the 18th of August (this month) they will have been in QT for 6 weeks since the bucket transfer method. So they have been in QT for 11 weeks in total!!

If they get sick again or die after all this I dont know what Im going to do!! Here is my thread if you want to go through it, it also has a video of the transfer method I did. Hope it helps.

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/quarintine.66219/

Last edited: 13 Aug 2016
  15. Marine Addict 777

Hi jacojs, I hope they make it. Thank you, I will most definitely have a look at the vid. Appreciate your help, thanks

16. Moaazo

Moaazo

Nope it doesnt bud mix it in the correct ml of R.O water or you can chuck in the sump

17. Marine Addict 777

Great thanks bud. do you dose weekly or only when you see signs of ws

18. Moaazo

Moaazo

I think best is empty fish out from tank nd let it cycle for 6 weeks and treat fish in qt

19. Marine Addict 777

Don't have another tank. Will be getting one soon though. Thanks again

20. Moaazo

Moaazo

Daily bud for about 2 weeks (10 days) if there is still signs of WS then continue treatment if im not mistaken by 22 days then it should be gone

21. Marine Addict 777

Thanks Moaazo. Will try it. Much appreciated

Recent Posts