White spot spreading

Reaction score
Hi All

Since i added my Japonicas surgeon and Yellow tang my fish seemed to get white spot. It seems to be spreading to all my fish as well.

I need some help, all my fish are still eating well.

What should i do to get rid of this white spot, i also have hermits in the tank

It looks like cryptocaryon irritans

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to isolate the fish and treat with a copper based medicine, this needs to be done soon - before the parasites drop off and lay eggs.

I got OODI MEDIK coral from LFS (Pet Stop).
Can be used with invertebrates in the tank. Not copper based.

White spot is quite common with tangs and they usually get it when stressed either because of too quick changes in water parameters or other fish bullying them. Also stress because of lack of swimming space. How big is your tank?

Just check it out carefully,white spot is often named as the problem when actually it is a completely different problem.Not to say it isn't white spot,but often tangs get what looks like white spot when first introduced to the tank and sometimes one or two other fish catch it aswell.As long as your water conditions are good,it tends to go away.Raising the temp very slowly to 28 degrees helps to get rid of it as the life cycle of the parasite is sped up to a point that skips the reproductive stage.Afetr a few days it just goes away......Have you got photos of the infected fish?That would help with an ID!;)

ok typical tangs problems,treat it with firstly CLEANER SHRIMPS lol almost the best fungus control for your problem.

IF however its gone out of control and your cleaner shrimps cant sort it out within say three days then get some EKTO MARIN.exotics stocks it and maybe one of the sponsors here do also.

its reef safe and can be used to treat corals also,plus its long lasting so will prevent the whitespot from hatching and reattaching a month later.

but i would first try adding cleaner shrimps,they are the best long term prevention.

Just check it out carefully,white spot is often named as the problem when actually it is a completely different problem.Not to say it isn't white spot,but often tangs get what looks like white spot when first introduced to the tank and sometimes one or two other fish catch it aswell.As long as your water conditions are good,it tends to go away.Raising the temp very slowly to 28 degrees helps to get rid of it as the life cycle of the parasite is sped up to a point that skips the reproductive stage.Afetr a few days it just goes away......Have you got photos of the infected fish?That would help with an ID!;)

Sorry for the Hijack, but its kinda dealing with the same issue. My newly introduced YT showed the same symptoms about 3 days ago. Normaly I would go bos!, catch, QT, Treat with Meds, Hypo etc.. but this time I followed this thread and the advice of letting things be, raising temp to 28 deg and no medication has served me well.

1) What is this "mimic" white spot ?
2) If its is some sort of parasite whats the life cycle details?
3) When is it safe to say that its not ICH ?

Sorry for the Hijack, but its kinda dealing with the same issue. My newly introduced YT showed the same symptoms about 3 days ago. Normaly I would go bos!, catch, QT, Treat with Meds, Hypo etc.. but this time I followed this thread and the advice of letting things be, raising temp to 28 deg and no medication has served me well.

1) What is this "mimic" white spot ?
2) If its is some sort of parasite whats the life cycle details?
3) When is it safe to say that its not ICH ?

I seem to remember many moons ago, being told that there is such a thing, i have emailed a few pals to see if i can get a name.....

Also try some Seachem Paragard. It's marine safe and is often used in isolation tanks to treat fish before they go into your DT.

seems i am not the only one currently battling this issue ! I am very scared to use meds due to my softies, also cant go with cleaners as my lion has them for breakfast....will just keep to regular waterchanges and slowly raise the temp....unless any other ideas ot there

ParaGuard
Product Description
ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. For use in freshwater or marine.

ParaGuard
Product Description
ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. For use in freshwater or marine.

er be carefull it doesnt say coral reef and invert safe so dont even bother throwing this in your reef if i were you! EKTO MARIN IS SAFE FOR TREATING CORAL INFECTIONS EVEN!so big big diff.heres a link

i have softies including purple mushrooms,a huge tree coral,some green zoas that i got from raven etc also have lotsa LPS like hammers and frog spawn and a gonipora as well as three pieces of SPS all have taken the dosage of EKTO MARIN extremely well with no sliming or loss of colour etc.

i also have hermits,cleaner shrimp,starfish,brittle star, a fire shrimp(white sox) and some polyps,mussels and pods blah blah blah.everything is fine still after dosing ekto marin........

depends. i prefer to not stress the fish out further by catching it and breaking down half my reef in the process:p

thanks falcon ....wil have a look as well....problem has just started appearing but i dont want to let it spread. i have to agree with both you guys..isolation is ideal....BUT...putting a domino damsel in a small QT might make the prob worse on the other hand.

Yes it seems strange...damsel with lions but my domino is full grown and a B*tch ! So at this stage the lions are staying away:), she will however be moving as soon as my new tank has finished cycling

Some meds can be safe for inverts and corals according to the manufacturers but the question is, is it safe for bacteria? The problem with dosing medisine in the main tank is it kills the white spot parasites yes, but who says it's not killing all the good bacteria and micro life? How does the meds know who to kill? That's why if you wanna dose meds, quarentine! Or leave it to the cleaner shrimps and other non-medicating methods like raising the temp etc. Just my opinion ;)

well, I must say that my one little grey job is looking a bit better today - without meds

Back
Top Bottom