Urgent help needed White Spot Question

Reaction score
I need to start a Hospital tank as I have an outbreak of WS, this was due to not QT my new fish.

I know, stupid begginers fault.:(

My question is should I also QT my Red Sea Star and Urchin?

Ahh well, rather learn my lesson now, and NEVER make the same mistake again.

Lucky I only have 6 fishy's !!

But never again will ANYTHING go into the DT without visiting the QT.

How long must the tank be empty from all fish for the W/S to be out of the system?
At least 6 weeks.

Push the temperature for the display system up to 28/29 to speed up the life cycle of WS.

But drop the temperature in the QT or bucket method to 23/24 to slow down the life cycle. Do not want the Stomonts to hatch and want them to stay dormant as long as possible. Giving hypo salinity a change to destroy them. But the bucket method is better, before you move the fish to quarantine tank. To ensure that no WS enter the quarantine system.

HYPO salinity or low salinity.

A known method to break down the stomonts. The stage the WS is on the substrate in a "pod" multiplying. But it is not 100% effective. I think its only about 70%, do not have that link anymore.

But fish can handle hypo, not corals or inverts. Also fish can only tolerate hypo for a few weeks at most. Not even sure how much.

So Hypo is not the trusted answer. Some stomont pods still survive and you will have a reinfection.

Only other method to attach or destroy the stomont is to dry it out. That fact form the basis for the bucket method. If you cannot remove the parasite from the fish environment, then remove the infected environment from the fish.

Know your enemy - Check diagram
10944d5110a7027e1.jpg

@RiaanP I have read so may threads regarding WS, but will follow Riaans bucket method. This makes a lot of sense to me.

Just 1 question, in none of these stages of the buckets you use copper or hypo salinity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just 1 question, in none of these stages of the buckets you use copper or hypo salinity?

nope, no hypo. Easier to do water changes.

Copper, and other medicyne if you want to. Just difficult to calculate with 50% water change every second day

Back
Top Bottom