White spot protein skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Hingis, 26 Nov 2014.

1. Hingis

Hingis

Hi all, so my regal got the dreaded WS, and I am trying to rid him of it.. I was given a product by Microbe Lift called Herbtana which seems to be working.. It's a 10day course of which I am at about a week now.. On the bottle is says not to have protein skimmer on. After all this time with it off and the tang looking much better I thought let me try turn it on.. It is producing excessive microbubbles and as a result I think the bubbles in the tank are tickling/itching the tang because he goes berserk trying to scratch himself on the rocks, and I feel to bad seeing him like that even for seconds.. So I leave the skimmer off.. Is it part of the healing process do you think with the white spot dying and his surface is a little sensitive and why he is reacting this way and it will get better as he heals?

Last edited: 26 Nov 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reaper

Reaper

Tagging out of curiosity

4. Clowning

Clowning

The herbatana will cause your skimmer go crazy. Try lifting the skimmer so that it does not skim too crazy. The scratching against the rock and glass is the tang trying to scratch off the WS as it irritates them try feeding nori enriched with garlic and maybe some vitamin this boosts the immune system and helps strengthen the tang so the spot does not affect it.

Hingis likes this.
  5. shaunn

shaunn

@Hingis from my personal experience herbtana does not work and cause's more damage than good the is qt the tang and treat with copper

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Hingis

Hingis Thread Starter

@shaunn Eish man was not expecting that... Bleak. Unfortunately I don't have QT available to me. So kind of stuck with this really.. @Clowning thanks man.. I will try to find some of this nori stuff..

7. samtoo

samtoo

i have had a regal tang for a long time now and the whitespots come and go , but he seems healthy as ever , he still eats like a pig and is quite active. I feed him and my other tangs a sheet of nori a day and the stick on feeders for during the day, at night i feed them flakes soaked in Vitality and Garlic Guard,

My fish do seem happy with this regiment , so i would suggest Nori (Seaweed) which is a definite for tangs and Vitality (which are vitamins)

Also keep good water levels and avoid any sudden / dramatic changes in temp , ph , salinity... Stability is the key...

Hingis likes this.
  8. Hingis

Hingis Thread Starter

@samtoo thanks a million man. Sounds good. Will get on top of that.

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I doubt the fish is looking better due to the herbtana. Whitespot has a specific life cycle where it falls off of the fish after a few days of becoming visible. You are most likely seeing this and thinking the herbtana is working. Keep the fish well fed with a variety of foods and it should be able to fight it off on his own.

King_Triton and Hingis like this.
  10. flappy

flappy

Agreed.....try transfer method if you can rather....

Recent Posts