White Spot on Orange Skunk Clown

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by RiaanP, 6 Jan 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yesterday morning I saw both my Orange Skunk Clowns have multiple white spots all over them. And they keep very close to my 2 cleaner shrimps.
    But as it was the first working day for this year, I did not want to start it off being late. I was worried all day at work. Luckily, last night it was gone.
    This morning its all back? The Orchid Gramma that stays very close to the cleaning station is all OK, and nothing else looks to carry it. Only new stuff I added was 4 hermit crabs. Can they carry it?
    Should I just wait and see what happens. They are still eating.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Are these fish being harassed by any tank mates? I have had instances of white spot that seemed to just come and go now and again. I would wait it out for a few days, as long as the fish is still eating and your parameters are all in check.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Nope, it is in a "nano" 90L DT. All I got in there are 2 Orange Skunk Clowns, 2 Blue Yellow tail Damsels, 1 golden head Goby, and 1 Orchid Gramma Purple. Then 2 cleaner shrimps, a few snails, 4 hermits and a short spine urchin and banded bristle star.
    The Damsels stay more to the bottom of the tank, each have his halve, and the clowns to the top. Sometimes between the damsel and clown they do show of, but never ends in a chase. Clowns are bigger.
    But what is interesting is that last night the spots were gone, and this morning they are back. Or maybe the shrimps cleaned them yesterday during the day, and at night the infection came back. Must check tonight.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Just watch them for a couple of days, I had a tang which used to get whitespot 3 or 4 times a month, it would just come and go overnight until it eventually just stopped.

6. RiaanP

Last night they were clean, but the spots are back this morning. Fish still eating.

Conclusion, the cleaner shrimps must be doing some cleaning. If it was the fish immune system, why will the spots come back during the night?

Also the spots are a lot more visible in the morning. So if you do notice white spots before you leave for work, do not do anything drastically. Let it be. Else when you return late afternoon the fish are "clean" and you think "Yes the medicine works...".
    Only to be back the next morning, and you over react again. More medicine, start of vicious cycle...

As long as they are eating, I will ride it out.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Did you dose any medicine?
    It is not advised to dose medicine in a marine tank as corals may be affected. Some sensitive inverts can also be affected as a lot of medicines has copper in. The best method if you want to dose medicine is to remove the fish and place in a quarantine tank with the same water parameters as your display. No sand and no live rock in the QT, just pieces of plastic pipes or plastic ornamental rocks for the "now stressed" fishies to hide in.
    Sometimes it's also better to ride it out as transporting already stressed or weak fish can just be the nail in the coffin. White spot is a parasite and live of its host, so in time if the fish are not eating they will get weaker and weaker until they die or get picked on because they're sick. Feed food with garlic in like Omega One Garlic Flakes - helps to boost their immune system - you can also "marinade" frozen food in fresh garlic juice (that you chopped up). Not the already processed oily crushed garlic.
    Read that you have damsels in your tank - they can be very nasty little devils :p
    The cleaner shrimp usually does a good job with this, so wait and see what happens.
    Good luck ;)

8. RiaanP

Tobes, no medicine. The cleaners clean during the day. They still eat. I will wait and see what happens.

My point exactly, what I noticed over the 3 days. In the morning it looks bad and in the afternoon a lot better if not clean. So if you do add some medicine in the morning, you THINK it is working, but it is the shrimps doing their work.

The fish will eventually overcome the spots. Will start with some garlic as a booster tonight.

9. keyaam

keyaam

I read somewhere that a ph problem could coz this. Test your Ph before lights out and ph before lights on.

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Too big a difference in water temp can also cause it

11. RiaanP

Yes Tobes, that did bother me.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Riaan - try this - I know that this is unconventional - but it seems to work for my regal tang that get's whitespot every now and again.

Do you have some pellet food? If so, take some tank water, drop some pellets in there - and add some freshly chopped up garlic..... leave for 10 minutes or so that the garlic juices can infuse into the pellets...

Then feed the clowns these pellets.....

You can also try to VERY VERY SLOWLY adjust the salinity of the tank to ie. 1.022 (do you have inverts in the tank? If not - then you can go lower to, ie. 1.020)....

You can also try to increase your alkalinity to ie. 12/14 dKh.... and increase the water temp to 27 (not more - it is NOT healthy for the life stock to have water temps more than 27 degrees).... The amount of dissolved oxygen in the water reduces TREMENDOUSLY the higher the temperature...

13. RiaanP

Yes Jacques
    I did start tonight with a bit of garlic juice I got. On the defrosted myopsis food.
    Interesting part is that the spots are gone again. Mornings they are back and afternoon gone. Yes I have shrimps, and I believe it is the cleaners chrimps that clear them during the day. And Hermits and snails.

14. keyaam

keyaam

Since i started feeding Omega one Marine Flakes with garlic, none of my livestock suffered from whitespot.

Recent Posts