Urgent help needed White spot on clownfish

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please help me, my clownfish have white spots on them the is a lot worse than the other.
I am very new to the reef tank scene and wold prefer not to use the coper treatment as I do not have a quarintine tank yet and I also have corals, a hermit, a snail and a shrimp in the tank.

The white spot wasn't there around 12:30pm today but it looks pretty bad now.

Please any help would be great.

Last edited:
Hello TanyaB

here is a writeup on whitespot I done a while back
Whitespot: Know your enemy - Marine Aquariums South Africa

and the treatment process I do when I got whitespot
Bucket Method Quarantine - Marine Aquariums South Africa

I have 2 quarantine tanks nowadays. Fish goes into the first tank for 6 weeks. If any sign of whitespot, then I do the bucket method and thereafter they go into the second system for 6 weeks. If however after 6 weeks in the first system without any sickness, they go to my display tank.

How bad does it look this morning?

Hello TanyaB

here is a writeup on whitespot I done a while back
Whitespot: Know your enemy - Marine Aquariums South Africa

and the treatment process I do when I got whitespot
Bucket Method Quarantine - Marine Aquariums South Africa

I have 2 quarantine tanks nowadays. Fish goes into the first tank for 6 weeks. If any sign of whitespot, then I do the bucket method and thereafter they go into the second system for 6 weeks. If however after 6 weeks in the first system without any sickness, they go to my display tank.

How bad does it look this morning?

Good morning,

The fish looks a lot better this morning, only about 3 or 4 spots.
They are eating well and we will be getting a QT tank this afternoon.

Thanks for all your help the links helped me a lot.

Regards

Hi @TanyaB any chance of a picture of the spot/s ... much easier to give help and advise based on a good pic

Good morning,

Sorry all the pics come out blurred....:(

They look better this morning, I think I may have panicked last night but I do not want to loos them.

Thanks anyway

Regards

if they do look better this morning, it just means that the whitespot matured and dropped off the fish. They are still in the tank, in a cyst, multiplying for the next round. Tomorrow, the fish should look even better. But in 8 to 9 days, you will have another outbreak and in your small system, the whitespot will have a very high success rate in finding a host. Doubt if they will make that round. Look at previous threads posted by guys. They all were happy they got over the initial whitespot wave. Only to have total tank infection in about 8 to 9 days later leading to mayor wipeouts.

Get your QT up and running. best way to save them.

Sorry if I sound like the prophet of doom, but that is the reality.

Back
Top Bottom