White spot in large tank - Help

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 700lt tank and have a few fish with a couple of white stops on their fins. What is the best treatment in this case. Please help? Thanks

Reaction score
if spot is in main tank you at the mercy of the spot. Some fish will probably survive the outbreak if they healthy and eating. But its not always the case. There are a million scenarios that can play out. Actually to many to type here. And every reefer has his own ideas on how to combat spot. There are some products on the market that claims it is reef save but i have never had luck with it. If you want to you can look at a product called spots and velvet. But looking at your water volume its going to cost you a arm and leg to dose.

Idealy you want to catch the fish and treat seperately. But even this can stress the fish and kill them Either bucket method, cupramine. Or whatever route you choose.
Spot is never a good thing especially if its in a main tank and you cant catch the fish.
Goodluck with the ick. Hope your fish pull through.

Reaction score
HI

I just had a total tank wipeout last week from white spot and velvet....... first ever wipeout in 15 years of reefing.... some fish i have had for more than 8 yrs.

Best advice

get a fish trap... and quarentine and copper your fish that are affected. Some nasty bugs going around at the moment.....

my 2 cents

Reaction score
In my view stress is the biggest trigger for fish getting killed by whitespot. I got a bad breakout when i had a powder blue and orange shoulder fighting. Powder blue was almost dead. Caught him out and put in another tank (all tanks on same sump, so same water). He recovered and lost no fish. Not a water quality issue. Another time moved tank, so stress and water quality not the same. Lost three fish. If they eating and only a few spots, not worsening i would consider just leaving them. If your water quality is not good / or high stress environment address that and /or treat them. I dont think there really is a best answer or way, treatment causes stress but leaving it can also lead to then dying.

Since removing the powder blue from the main display i have no fish that fight, low stocking so low stress and have not had another breakout. Now and then some fish have a spot or two that goes away again.

All the best with whatever route you take decide to take.