Urgent help needed White spot dottyback

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by NADEEM, 16 Oct 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi all, i have a Boyu TL550,have always had 2 x clowns, 1 x bi-colour blenny and 1 x cleaner shrimp, recently got a dottyback from lfs, that was about 2 weeks ago, noticed last night that the dottyback has fleshy white spots on his body, there is absolutely no way i can get a picture, i can barely get a glimpse as he lives mainly in the rockwork.

is this fish going to infect the toher fish? i tried catching him, tried for about 2 hours last night, NO LUCK.
    how do i catch this little fish without tearing down the tank, really dont want to mess up the scape.

Please help what do i do.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

[​IMG]

here is a pic i foudn on net of the fish im talking about, i can not really say where exactly the white spots are as this fish does not show himself much, i tried trapping him with nets, using some food as bait, nothing worked.

im worried he is going to infedt my clown fish and then they going to die, i really dont want this to happen.

also, if it is possible to catch this guy, is there someone nearby goodwood in cpt that maybe has a hospital tank?

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Go thru here so long until someone can give you 1st hand experience..sorry...I don't own a dotty back...hope this helps....I liked the draining of the water..quick and simple in my opinion...:blush:
    PS: Just make sure it doesn't stay deep inside one of the rocks..:blush:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2087465

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  5. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Thank you Belinda, draining the water, where is my mind, i didnt even think of that.
    BUT, will all the soft coral be ok with the fresh air

6. belindamotion

They should be...how do you do you'r water changes...?...place some on the bottom of your Tank, if you can...don't "empty" the Tank...but do a good "drain" if you can..

7. Wes

Wes

yes, but;

1) if the fish is eating you have a chance to get it cleared
    2) if you have no coral you also have a chance to add copper and what not to get it cleared
    3) you will prolly never get rid of white spot in your tank EVER!! unless you pull it down or quaranteen your DT for 3 months, but you'll get it again as soon as you add a new fish from the lfs without quaranteening it.
    NB:
    1) Healthy fish cannot die from white spot
    2) boosting you Dooty's immune system will stop him from dying
    What works for me as in Tried and Tested:
    1) buy some stress guard from LFS
    2) feed the fish well, no Brine shrimp is not considered food
    3) i use Ocean Nutritions Marine Mini Pellets, crush them if they are too big for your fish to swollow
    4) soak them in Garlic oil/juice, the Pellets that is
    5) healthy fish cannot die from White Spot
    6) sorry my spelling sux hard

8. JS

JS

Hey bud.

Whitespot only infects fish if there imune system has taken a knock...so something stressed him/her out...maybe the transport from LFS, or the stress of being in the LFS tank. It wont infect the clowns if they are not stressed....

I would however start feeding them garlic soaked food....will help keep them healthy and stress free.

Also, try and see If you can get the dottyback to eat garlic soaked food....if you manage to catch it...try hospitalizing it and treat it....

Cheers

9. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

im thinking, even if i drain 90% of the water out that tank, because of the scape, he will still have lots of hiding spots. what a schlep, damn. maybe i should try this bottle trap, eish:(

10. belindamotion

Have you organized a Hospital Tank already...? No use catching the bugger if you got no place to put the poor sucker...;)...especially if you tink it will take you hours to catch it, when in fact you might strike gold and catch him in 5min...:005:

11. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

so i can sort this out without even removing the fish fro the tank? awesome stuff.

can i use fresh garlic? or is there some product i need to buy? i will get the stress guard and use it, i have some good quality flake and pellet foods and i have mysis shrimp also.
    this dottyback is always active and eats well.

if i manage to catch him though - of anyone has a hospital tank near goodwood area, please holla, you can even have the fish once you have been bale to doctor him to good health again, rather that than me killing him.

12. belindamotion

Is you'r "scape" glued together...? one solid "framework"...?

13. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

nope, no hospital tank, hopefully trying to find someone in my area who has one and could help. but now i know it only will affect my other fish id their immune system is low and i think my clowns and bi-colour blennie is in very good shape

14. JS

JS

Dude

You get garlic concentrate at the LFS....but I would think you can crush fresh stuff...

15. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

no, its loose, but you know its SUCH A SCHLEP to redo and i just managed to get a scape that im happy with---not an easy thing in a boyu TL550

16. belindamotion

It's a small price to pay if it means saving all you'r Livestock..:blush: Here is a DIY Trap you can try if you would prefer this route...
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=37108

17. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

shot dude, definitely can not get to lfs today, so will have to wait a few days before i can get that, will feed wll and watch in the meantime

18. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

you know what, you are right Belinda, shot for this.
    my tank has a wall of rock on the left and an 'island' on the right, i will remove the island totally on the right and hopefully catch this guy....

CAPE TOWN GUYS, IF THERE IS SOMEONE WHO CAN ASSIST WITH CARING FOR THIS FISH, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP HIM ONCE HE IS RECOVERED, THAT IS COOL.SHARP

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes

until they are infected

yes and no
    The whitespot Tomonts / cyst have loads of new Ws parasites in them. In the wild they have an extreme low rate of infection, that is why they hatch in numbers to secure survival of the species. This is a nano tank. How easy is it to find a host? Even healthy fish will be prone to infection in such a a small tank with sooooo many Tomites around.

Take the rock the fish is in out, and remove it from the tank. Put enough water in another container to cover the rock the fish is in. Lift the rock out and place it in the container. You need to do this before mature Trophonts fall off and infect your system. But as you can see the spots already, you are close to the end of the parasitic part of the cycle. Tonight most likely your last change of preventing system infection. Maybe already too late. You can inspect the rock the dottyback is in and see where he is hiding. Lift the rock out just above the water with the hole facing down. Dottyback must be able to see the water below. Within a minute it will try to get back to water and wriggle out. If not, then place rock back in water for a minute and repeat. Use some PVC pipes or even short conduit section to provide hiding space in the container.

Please read this
    Whitespot: Know your enemy - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Good luck

NADEEM likes this.
  20. Wes

Wes

Incorrect

21. Wes

Wes

healthy fish infected with white spot do not die from white spot, I've got 25 living proof specimens if you'd like to come visit.

Recent Posts