white spot? and treatment

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by JohanB, 29 Apr 2013.

1. JohanB

JohanB

Can you guys please confirm that this is white spot on my regal tang?
    It is only 10 days since I added it to my tank and had it for a few days. All other fish are fine and it is eating.

It seems to be white spot from what I have read. I have a small tank (I'd guess about 30l. Is that big enough for a quarantine tank for a regal tang? I assume he will have to be in there for a while.

Thanks

whitespot.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

4. Zandy

Zandy

In all fairness @RiaanP you are a very patient man. This post has been made a sticky and perhaps the "google MASA" should be where the site directs you prior to posting a thread?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Fred d

Fred d

You got that right man . He is truly patient .... a really gentleman .... has always respo nded to My posts And threads

6. Zandy

Zandy

yup...:thumbup:@RiaanP. Anyway i wish i could patent a product that cure whitespot. @JohanB just follow the methods that Riaan gave you and you will be ok. Just make sure you add some garlic extract to the food to enable the fish to build up it's immune system.Vitamins & Garlic....that prevents/helps it from the inside.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had a big outbreak of whitespot end 2011 in my quarantine holding tank. Lost them all. I then did a lot of reading up on whitespot, and the thread about knowing your enemy is basically my summary, from various online articles and own experience. I was slack once when I got the Navarchus angel (not time, too much effort, blah blah), and that's where the bucket thread came from. Then instead of just having to handle one fish, I had 4.

I do not believe that anything can treat WS on the fish. Boosting his immune is basically all that helps for the time the parasite is on the fish. Can treat the cysts and infectious stages. (hypo salinity and copper).

There is a lot of myths. And I do not want to be pulled into a discussion everytime a WS thread pops up. I done my homework and its available for all to read. And cases where in tank solutions are tried out, and eventually 50% or more fish died anyway. Just irk me. Yeah sure, eventually some fish did pull through, but at what costs?

Get your quarantine systems in place. Maybe you are lucky up to now. But you are gambling Russian roulette style. One day, your luck will run out.

Mantra Ray likes this.
  8. Zandy

Zandy

Agree with RiaanP , i also paid the school fees for not using the QT system. Lost a tanetti tang, one clown and most inverts.

9. JohanB

JohanB Thread Starter

ok thanks guys. i know it comes up a lot but every guy says something different. just to confirm it is white spot?

10. Zandy

Zandy

I would say YES to whitespot.

11. JohanB

JohanB Thread Starter

Ok just wanted to confirm it before I stress out the fish more. Isnt that the whole point of the forum, if I just wanted to read articles I could just google it. It seems like most people dont even read the posts and just reply according to the title. Thanks @RiaanP, I have read those yesterday already and very useful.

12. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

@JohanB,
    What is the size of that regal? It really looks a bit big for a 30L quarantine tank, and you will most probably put the fish under a lot of added stress.
    Also, If you do go the bucket route, make sure that the containers you use are big enough. (Those crates on wheels would suffice)

All the best!

Recent Posts