White hairy sponges

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Giepie, 23 Sep 2009.

1. Giepie

Giepie

A few months ago I discovered white hairy sponges on on of my LR. Had a cluster of 9 on 1 rock. Didn't know what it was and posted a pic of it for the guru's to id. I was told that they are filterfeeders and a sign of good water quality. I was happy & releaved at the same time 'cos I was hearing (and reading) a lot about neusance growth in tanks. They don't get big, so I was told to enjoy them whilest I can 'cos as soon as I put in corals / nennies, I will forget about them...

My question now: Can they become a pest? It's been about 4 months after I discovered them and I'm scared... again... I think they taking over. If they find space away from my urchin, they will multiply to a point of a "white carpet"... so to speak... Behind my powerheads, on the outside of powerheads (including the little edges on the powerhead where sections meet), inside my sump, inside my boxfilter... My LR is covered by them (okay, not all my LR - The LR that I got with the system is dead. Understandable if my salinity was 1043 the day I took it over from a kid who didn't know how to take care of fish)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Can you take another photo or two. I nice clear close-up and a shot showing the "carpet"
    Maybe the ID given is wrong. And sponges generally like more darker areas (normally).

4. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

... now that I think about it... All the spots where they are going "bossies" is not in direct light...

The pic is a bit of a problem... My camera is in for repairs & I'm only getting it back this weekend... Will gladly take a pic of the "carpet" and will also squeeze in a few close-up of those growing on the rocks...

Recent Posts