White Hairy Crab discovered after all my fish vanished!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mirage, 2 Jan 2011.

1. Mirage

Mirage

Over the last few months we have had fish vanishing mysteriously during the night!
    I kept emptying the tank taking out all my rock and corals, my levels are fine, everything is perfect?!
    I lost a blue lobster, a yellow and purple chromis, 2 dancing shrimp, a fire shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, a clown fish and my most preciuos fish, my beautiful mandarin, that's been with me for 2 years now :(
    A year ago we purchased new corals and my boyfriend swore he had seen a tiny hairy crab the night we put them in the tank. But he wasn't seen again. Yesterday late evening, I was looking at the tank feeling rather depressed at the loss of my fish, and opened the lid, on one of the rocks in my sump filter there stood the bugger! About to climb over into the main tank! He is huge! Bigger than all of my fish were!! Being the only thing alive other than my blue and red leg hermit crabs, he must be the one that's responsible for the loss of my dear fish!! Tomorrow I am gonna use an empty glass jar with a mussel in the bottom and I am gonna trap him and toss him in the ocean!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

Eish. Glad you at least found out what was happening to your fish. My mandarin has also disappeared a couple of months ago and I still don't know what happened to him. :(

4. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Please post pics when you do catch him !
    As a routine, I often scan my tank after lights out wth a red led lamp.
    Its when you will most likely spot these lurking unwanted unseen predators.

This way I've spotted and caught some really large bristle worms and crabs.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

More than likEly a teddy bear crab, they normally live inside the live rock you buy. they can make themselves new caves buy digging throught the rock.

6. Falcon

Falcon

atleast you found him,was there any light in the sump when you saw him?Maybe it is a nocturnal rab and thats how you missed it.post some pics once you caught it,we could possibly identify if he is a suspect.

Recent Posts