Whipper's Lido 120

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by whipper, 30 Jun 2016.

1. whipper

whipper

Hi guys!

This is going to be a long opening post!

I was looking to upgrade from my Boyu TL450 and was originally looking for the TL550 because I liked the fact that it's all self contained.
    I found a second hand Juwel Lido though and liked the look. After doing a bit of reading on the tank I stumbled upon this thread in another forum

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?398177-My-First-Reef-Tank-build-Lido-120

I hope it's ok to put the link, if not sorry mods please remove it. I decided that I was going to pretty much copy exactly what he's done. That's when the fun started!

I'm going to have the sump built to the specs the guy used it'll look like this
    [​IMG]

I got a BM C3.5 skimmer that I am planning to use. I did want to change the set up from what he's done and put the skimmer in the first compartment with the inlet instead of like this

[​IMG]

Is this advisable? The plan being to have a rubble zone or should I have matrix?, in the second compartment possibly with cheato. Where would it be best to have purigen, phosgard and carbon?

Obviously to sump the tank I'm going to have to get the tank drilled again I liked what he did

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With a return like this

[​IMG]

The question I have is is the weir a better option although it's a bit of work or is something like this better?

[​IMG]

I have gotten some black vinyl for the back to hide the plumbing which I will add once the hole drilled so I can cut out the hole in the vinyl.

I also plan on removing the built in filter for more space as I'll have the sump for all that. I'll have to add more base rock as my live rock in the tl450 won't be enough. I was thinking of getting it now soaking in RO for a while then after that adding salt water, water from a top up and maybe a small piece of rock from my DT with a heater and pump till I get all the bits together.

I've read conflicting thoughts about moving old live sand. I've got a new 10kg bag of Seachem Pearl beach. My current tank is only small, doesn't have much sand anyway and I've got a sand sifting goby. What's the thoughts on moving my old sand over?

Stock wise I will move my 2 clowns, goby, 2 hermits, 2 feather duster, red mushrooms and couple of snail over to the new tank. The plan is to add

Couple of cromis
    Tail spot blenny
    Yellow wrasse
    Couple of cleaner shrimp
    peppermint shrimp
    More snails, turbo.

Is that too much?
    Also would like Zoa and a hammer or frogspawn.

Ok I think that's about it! Any recommendations, advice, warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why not. Only an issue is the old bed was really deep. If you need to add more substrate, do not cover the old layer in one go. Add a bit per week until you got enough.

I doubt that your sump will have space for all that you listed. I use Matrix and like it. Not sure where you will put your cheato? So that no pump will eat it up. Will you use reactors?

4. nakoma

nakoma

I got very nervous when I saw the first picture . Books holding up a chip board shelf with a whole sump on top of it . What if you wanted to read that book ??? Well looking nice so far still a lot more to see I suppose so do show and tell .

Last edited: 1 Jul 2016
  5. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

The pics are mostly from the thread I quoted at the beginning that I want to copy. Later on when he fills the sump he uses bricks, I guess he needed those books!

6. nakoma

nakoma

It must be so when are you going to get cracking on this .

7. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

The guy who's going to drill and build the sump is away on leav unfortunately. Busy gathering things, skimmer, return pump and cleaning the tank. I need to remove the old filter.

8. nakoma

nakoma

If you can drill you can do it yourself just go get the bit and they show you on youtube how . Really nothing to it very easy and fast to do

9. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

I believe it isn't that difficult but still a bit scary! Where do I get the hole saw from though?
    Also what diameter would be best for this tank?

10. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

The tank also doesn't have its original lid because it uses Maxspect Razor. Thanks Lady Inferno for the tank and lights!
    I've got cats and was worried about jumpers and evaporation so I had a Perspex cover made up. My boet has a laser cutter and can do pretty much anything. Perspex is pricey though!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I may need to take out the grid in the middle if there isn't enough light getting through but so far I think it looks good. The protective film is still on.
    There's a bead of silicone that had come loose inside. Apparently it's not vital and the strength is in the join but for peace of mind I'd like to put a bead in. I like the black but where do you get tank safe black silicon?
    Other goodies I've got are a pair of Vortech Mp10w, thanks Tropicalboy! Always wanted them, just don't tell the Mrs!

11. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Yeah I'm getting carried away and thinking I've got loads of space in the sump.
    What about first chamber inlet and skimmer,second matrix and cheato and last return and creating a separation with egg crate and bags of purigen, phosban and carbon? Or maybe rather where the inlet is again separated from skimmer with egg crate?

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Default Filtration Setup
    Mechanical, biological then chemical.

Try to keep it in that sequence. Not the end of the world if its not, but its just easier.

nakoma and whipper like this.
  13. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Little update, I've managed to remove the internal filter which definitely opens the tank up.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nice, I did the same on my Lido 120. :)

whipper likes this.
  15. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Also decided to go with the overflow. I did look into getting a hole saw to drill the tank myself. Not being sure about the hole size and after seeing what they cost I think I'll just get it done for me.

Any suggestions on the diameter of the drain? Also any suggestions on where to get the fittings? Builders only had basic drain piping etc I was hoping for something a bit more like in the pics.
    I'm looking at a return pump that should have around 1000l of flow at 1.2m head height. That doesn't take into account loss for bends etc so I figure 6-7 times turnover. The MP10s should help to increase total flow. Will that be enough?

16. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Cool, do you have a thread for it? The more ideas I can get the better! Did you sump yours?

17. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

There might be a couple of threads somewhere, I've closed down and restarted this nano about 3 or 4 times, lol. :p

At the moment I have just installed a Tunze overflow box to connect it to a sump.

whipper likes this.
  18. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

I'll have to try find them and have a look. I looked at doing an overflow but decided it'll be neater without which equals happier Mrs!

19. Lady Inferno

Lady Inferno Reefer for life

Following along to see this journey!

20. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Ok so I've been reading about sumps. The original plan was a 3 chamber sort of like this
    (Excuse the quick sketch)

[​IMG]

Having read I saw somewhere, gmacreef, that says if the sump is going to be small 10-20gallons to rather go with a 2 chamber so that the return chamber can hold enough water.
    Could I do a 2 chamber and just use eggcrate to create dividers? So basically the same idea but only one set of glass baffles? Like this

[​IMG]

That will mean no cheato but I've never had it before anyways!

Also would keeping Biocubes in a old style corner filter work instead of the bomb method?

21. whipper

whipper Thread Starter

Bit more progress.
    I bought a return pump! The question is is it any good? I was advised that it has a ceramic shaft so is better for wear. And it's the same as the one my lfs uses in there main dt, just smaller.
    [​IMG]
    Having been confused with all the info on turnover and head loss I thought I'd err on the higher side. According to this
    [​IMG]
    I should be able to achieve around 1000l/h at roughly 1.2m which I figure will be my head height that excludes loss for elbows etc. So if I work on 120l-130l thats around 8x turnover. Too high?
    I can adjust it down if necessary.

Other good news is I'm getting the sump and drilling sorted hopefully this week, going to just go with the 2 chamber I recon. Will have a final chat with the tank builder for some advice.
    Any last minute suggestions?

Recent Posts