Which welder

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey duys, i am looking at buying a welder at the moment

Tom has kindly pointed my in the right direction now I am deciding on the details.
I have decided to go DC inverter 160 am or so.

THe contenders are
Matweld 160 / or 200
Modweld 160 (lift tig start) Locally made
Thermadyne 160 Adendorfs
Electra beckum 160 (metabo)

The Afrox Transarc 160 is more than doubke the price of any of the above

I plan on the odd diy job, like braai, gates, Tank stands etc

any help from you guys would be great

Is there anything else I shoud be considering?

Gloves, face shield and good medical aid...... :lol:

Gloves, face shield and good medical aid...... :lol:

nah i am a big boy, i have figured how to save money on a helmet

welderchinaxg0.jpg

Thermadyne

have to agree with DR

OK thermadyne it is, they out of stock but will have in 2 weeks, placed the order

I don't have any knowledge of any of the welders you've mentioned, but here's some general comments (for what they're worth...)Adendorfs normally sells the cheapest Chinese brands available, and I personally don't trust them - I would rather pay more, and get a decent product.Don't just consider amperage ratings - look for duty cycle...I would choose an oil cooled model rather than an air cooled unit.Even if you're only going to use it for the odd job, consider it an investment. I've been using an Adamark oil cooled welder for the past 20+ years, and it's still working as well as when I bought it (I'm not sure if they are still available, but the point I'm making is that quality lasts...)Happy DIY...Hennie

I don't have any knowledge of any of the welders you've mentioned, but here's some general comments (for what they're worth...)Adendorfs normally sells the cheapest Chinese brands available, and I personally don't trust them - I would rather pay more, and get a decent product.Don't just consider amperage ratings - look for duty cycle...I would choose an oil cooled model rather than an air cooled unit.Even if you're only going to use it for the odd job, consider it an investment. I've been using an Adamark oil cooled welder for the past 20+ years, and it's still working as well as when I bought it (I'm not sure if they are still available, but the point I'm making is that quality lasts...)Happy DIY...Hennie

Hennie I have to agree 100% but Thermadyne seems to be the one brand that they have that is decent, its backed by Panasonic( i checked with Panasonic) has a 60% duty cycle at 160 A and 100% @ 124 A, the rest of there stuff scare me like you say, thats why I added there name in the origanal post. Also it is air cooled but it is an inverter DC welder not a transformer AC welder like the oil cooled ones, I believ you can still get Adamark nowadays and the the guys I spoke to recko its the quintessiantcial welder. However the reason for going DC inverter is the fact that it has a stepless adjustment, i.e. from 20 - 160 amp, e.g if I want to weld at 73 amps, i can.

Oh and I like gadgets :) thanks Hennie, If your welding is 1 tenth as god as your reefkeeping ypou must be one hell of a welder :lmao:

Awvince thats the one I want, does it have scratch tig or HF tig capabilities?? :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom