Which to choose for Maroons???

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by brentv, 4 Mar 2010.

1. brentv

brentv

Hi Guys,
    Which species of nennie would you choose to host 2 maroon clowns, they have been in the tank a few weeks and I'm trying to decide which to get?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Brent - it depends on how the tank is setup.

Meaning - BTA's are always popular - and all clowns seems to host in them. BUT, I have noticed that BTA's (Bubble tip anemone's) are not that much fond of huge lighting.

Heteractics Magnifica - this requires a lot of light, and some decent cross-flow- with reef quality water.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

According to this link the following anemone's will host Maroon clownfish - Clownfish Anemone Compatibility Chart

Bubble Tip - Entacmaea quadricolor
    Long Tentacle - Macrodactyla doreensis
    Carpet Anemone - Cryptodendrum adhaesivum
    Sebae Anemone - Heteractis malu

5. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Thanks Jacques and Viper,
    You guys have given me some ideas!:thumbup:

6. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I would definately go with the bubble tip as they are pretty easy as nennies go.

7. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah Rob, I think you're right. Did a bit of reading thanks to Viper and it seems that in nature Maroons are associated mainly with the bubble tip, so gonna try get a nice bright coloured one!

8. Anemone

Anemone

Sorry, I missed this thread!

I would go with the BTA. Just make sure that it is at least 3 times larger than the Maroons. Maroon clownfish can be a bit harsh on their anemone and have been known to "love them to death" if the anemone is too small for them.

If the BTA was kept under lower lighting that what you are going to keep it under, be sure to acclimate it over a few weeks to the new lighting.

9. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Definately gonna go with the BTA and will get a biggish one. My maroons are 3-4cm so still quite small.
    My lighting is 250wMH's 14000k and atinic T5's I'm gonna place it at the bottom near a cave so it can choose lighting levels (I hope) will post a pic this evening of my intended place, let me know if it is suitable in your opinion... thanks B

10. irshaad

irshaad

My Maroon, which wouldnt host in anything for over a year, headed straight into my BTA the MINUTE i added it to the tank! Was amazing, my hand wasnt even out of the tank yet!
    He did appear to be getting stung initially on his mouth, but that cleared up after a few days... not sure if this happens, but at least something you can consider if you notice anything on your maroons

11. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Thanks Ishraad, definately gonna go that route. I will tell them not to 'burn' themselves when I put anemone in:lol::thumbup:

Recent Posts