Which nano tank,help urgent,

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by bres, 30 Jun 2011.

1. bres

bres

Hi there, im about to splash some cash on a all-in-one tank setup, but im not sure which one I should go for, my budget is limited(Government Regulated LOL)between R3 300-R4 500, Ive only looked at the JBL 28G Nano Cube and the Boyu TL550(dont want to go any smaller) at this point, are there any others that i should consider? space is limited,

Im leaning toward the JBL 28g, im hoping to keep from FOWL(max 2 smallfish) to eventually SPS in here,

Any help would be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reefhead

Reefhead

Just my opinion but why not go for something a little more custom made, might work out cheaper then a complete set-up that you will prob end up doing so many mods on

4. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Or if you want ready made, the Aquaria range seems pretty cool... IMHO... :biggrin:

bres likes this.
  5. archiecrain

archiecrain

they also seem very well priced....may have some change left over to buy live rock etc

6. regis

regis

you should be able to buy a tl55 for under R3000 say R2900, just shop at the right places

7. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Very good point... Extra cash is always handy for LR and "creatures"... :biggrin: I would even venture as far as to say their lights MIGHT be good enough for a nennie... :biggrin:
    Please don't kill me guys... :whistling:

8. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Oh yes Bres... Welcome... :thumbup:

9. FransSny

FransSny

bres , it will boil down to what you want to achieve in the long run. Before buying bear in mind you might change your wants as you go along. Personally the Boyu i feel is good value for money if looking at that type of system and with the right LS selection could be an awesome setup

bres likes this.
  10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You will not be able to keep SPS in there as the stock lighting is too little. You will have to to remove the lid and place another light pendent over the tank if you want SPS. That defeats the purpose of an all in one tank as it will not look so neat with another light over it.

11. Sammy

Sammy

IMO once you get bitten, a boyu doesn't seem to do the job any more. Ask me, I found my TL-550 extremely limiting with filtration and lighting and spent thousands on mods, HOB skimmers, MH clip on lighting ect.

Now it used as a QT at home ???

12. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

also check out the for sale forum.you might get a cheap 2nd hand setup for a little more or less which would be alot better. Ive got a boyu and its not bad. i actually enjoy it as i am limited with space. gonna start doing a few mods like skimmer and some lights.maybe led. will check it out. but as far as the boyu its not bad.just needs a few upgrades. but if i were you i will look at an upgradeable custom setup as you wont be able to go all out with the money you want to put aside.(or the tl 550)

bres likes this.
  13. Furbz

Furbz

check out my thread for a great custom nano.
    its hands down better than any all-in-one and less maintenance.

otherwise if your set on an all in one contace aquaria-SA they have an awesome nano setup. the best all-in-one i have experienced.

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@bres.... In my opinion, for the money you want to spend, rather get a standard 1.2m tank ,stand and sump for bout ±1500,then decent lites for bout another 1000 and a nice 2nd hand TS2 skimmer ,uplift pump an flow pumps for ±1500.... That's in your range, the rest will follow.... Lots of guys venture into nanos, I did too, its a waste of money in my opinion, you pay so much,an like almost all the guys said, its never enough,always upgrading,so u end up spending 10k on a tank with such limited space.1.2m tank is a decent starter size an amazing space so you can even have a tang or 2 an a bit of extra fish, lotsa space for corals an nice liverock islands or scaping of you choice, paremeters are also more stable ...... So again,this is just my opinion and I'm sure most guys can relate,so to save you money and future space issues... I share my thort... Goodluck and WELCOME 2 MASA:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Sammy

Sammy

TOTALLY TOTALLY AGREED, been there done it ! its a waste and more difficult and puts you off the hobby quicker than an normal system with sump and proper lighting, other nano enthusiasts might disagree, but I've ran one for 2 years and will never nevermlook back !!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. gavster

gavster

My suggestion is to wait. Contact the Aquaria guys on here (sponsors( and have a look at their bigger nano coming in, in a little while. The major problem with the Boyu is the lights and you can't upgrade them too easily. The Aquaria tank looks the same but has much better lights allowing you to look at corals you couldn't look at with the boyu. If space is your problem, then so be it, but like the guys said, you can get a good second hand setup for that price too.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  17. pXius

pXius

I strongly agree with gavster, especially if you want a bit of extra size.

But like everyone else said, you WILL inevitably go bigger.

18. AndrévN

AndrévN

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  19. 2balive

2balive

If you want SPS you can also look at the Boyu HS-60, I have seen some for under R5k, it comes with a 150W MH and is 130l. you will need a chiller in summer though.

Recent Posts