Which flow pumps ???

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Punisher, 4 Jun 2012.

1. Punisher

Punisher

hi guys and girls

i am in the market for some flow...

i know ,i know... VORTECH yay!!!! only problem is, they kill your pocket.

i wanted to ask the fellow reefers who have been down the isle many times :

what flow pumps would you suggest?
    value for money?

im trying to go for something decent but that wont rip a hole in my wallet..
    "really hard to justify paying R10K for flow"

advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks a million
    :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@Punisher
    look in the for sale forums ./
    there was someone selling tunze flow pumps .
    i think they wanted around 6 k for 4 pumps.
    if i am not mistaken they were the 6125 pumps
    good luck

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. FransSny

FransSny

I take it you are talking controllable / programmable pumps ?

Vortech would probably win in anyone's opinion, except on the price issue
    Personally I will advise Tunze anyday , Have been running mine for over 5 years now without a hassle. The system is also expandable via the controller
    The Hydor Koralia ones is also a good choice and a bit better price range

Depends on a lot of factors in the end as not each pump is really necessary for a system, one can make do with cheaper non controllable pumps in the right setup. Remember its not having a lot of flow , but rather correct flow

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you want something really cheap then sun sun pumps are ok for the short term

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Unfortunatly there will be many opinions as people will advocate what they have. The only thing that i can say for sure is that there will be a compromise between price and other factors such as reliability, noise and physical size. There are a few decently priced options such as the seio prop pumps. The non controlable pumps such as tunze is also a decent option. And do not count out buying good quality pumps 2nd hand such as tunze or vortech.

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I'm a big fan of Tunze, but if you want something cheaper and controllable have a look at the SICCE Voyager pumps.

8. crispin

crispin

buy once and get decent quality flow, id look at a pair of tunze on a multi controller and you will still be happy 5 years down the line.

9. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I agree with LCornelius - we are using Vortech and sicce Voyager and both are magnet attached ,and the sicce do have a controller available .
    The only time i could see me using another vortech is when i cant have the power cable go over the side of the tank...

P.S
    prices about R1995 for a sicce 15 000lph
    And about R 1500 for a 10 000 lph
    Prices just a estimate.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jun 2012
  10. Fishboy Godfrey

Fishboy Godfrey

Go for a decent pump that will give u the flow that u will be satis about!

11. Ed_Maddocks

Ed_Maddocks

I have just gone down this road and ended up with 2 tunze 6055 pumps and the 7096 controller.

The controller has no gauges or dials on the unit itself, instead the programming is done via a USB cable and pc. The programs range from tides to storms etc... This controller can handle up to 8 pumps!

2 pumps and controller will set you back about 5k or so.

The vortech pumps are great bullet proof units but do not give you the versatility of the newer pumps on the market. 1 controller for 1 pump! A "wireless" mp10 will set you back about R3200

I hope this helps, remember the last thing you want is to have regrets. Go with your instinct and what your budget will allow.

12. 2balive

2balive

Tunze

I started with a second hand AquaMedic "stop/start" controller and Tunze and Seio non controllable pumps in my nano. Would recommend these Tunzes any day, the small ones moves a serios amount of water, I found that non of the other makes could hold their own compare to it (for the same volume displacement in the tank). The flow changes in the tank was not bad, but struggle to fine tune this amount of flow in a nano with the level of control the stop start controller gave me. The combo cost me about R2000 (apart from all the other pumps I tested before I settled on my last set).

I now got 2 Tunze 6055 pumps and the 7096 controller. Cost me around R5k. Apart from the amount of wires involved, this is a stunning combination. Excellent control, easy to create waves and lots of options (but the interface can be quite bewildering with all the options).

Only thing I do not like is the night mode that works on a photo cell and not a timer, so it slaves to your light period and you can not set it for a lesser period of low flow.

I did not go for the Vortech as I could not mount it on the rear pannel of the nano and side mounting would not work for my aquascape (sure you can design around this).

Also, two controllable Vortech would work out more then 6k and I felt that I could not get the right amont of flow control from 1.

On the Tunze I also liked the fact that adding the 3rd and 4th pump is significant cheaper (no additional controller) and can go up to 8 with just an adaptor. Still dreaming of using it in a bigger tank :biggrin:

13. Greg Bridger

Greg Bridger

Hi guys I'm in the process of designing a new tank and after much research have decided on Tunze.
    I have looked at videos and read a span of threads on various sites and it looks like from a value for money as well as service point of view they cant be beat.

14. mytank

mytank

This is a great topic I have struggled with this quite a bit and have had experience.

First: Nothing wrong with the cheap pumps the SEIO's the Sun Sun's all do the job.

Pros:

Cheap
    Bang for buck (that's over and above being cheap)

Cons:

Impelor shafts don't last
    You often can't control them with built in controllers
    They not supported by the big aquarium computers
    Some tend to leak electricity as it gets much older like the Sun Suns

Then the more affordable ones:

Hydro's
    Tunze

BRILLIANT pumps absolutely awesome pumps and nothing wrong with them, some say that they way better than the Vortech's but truth be told that becomes a religious debate. Both you get first class build quality and equipment.

Pros:

Great value for money!
    Excellent build quality
    Controllable (to a degree) -
    Tunze - yes to the aquarium computers
    Hydro - the big pumps that you need on a decent tank - NO they only do a controller for the small pumps. IMO thats COMPLETELY useless. The demographic that buys aquarium computers will more than likely have large tanks, yes there are some edge cases.
    Low noise levels whilst new

Cons:

With Tunze you don't have this issue have their own controllers and supported by the major Aquarium Computers. Hydro you have its own (very capable) wave box but not the aquarium computer integration with the big pumps.

Don't have experience with the Tunze but the Hydros I have started super silent, gave them a good clean the other day and when everything is quite you can hear the hum

The Expensive: (basically the Vortechs)

I will be moving to the Vortech's simply for one reason, I have a expensive aquarium computer and I want it to do something.... hence why I am looking for a pump that is supported by the major Aquarium Computer suppliers.

Pros:

Can control them with all major branded aquarium computers.
    The design is brilliant with a wet (the part in the tank) and dry (side outside the tank) part. The value of this I only found the other day when I was cleaning my hydros. I was constrained by the length of the cable. With the Vortech you can take just the wet part (No wires attached) and go clean it.

The controller (besides a aquarium computer) is brilliant on its own. Has tons of excellent modes like reef, night, detrius remover etc etc etc

Battery backup (However I don't see the point in this if you have a Tunze return pump on battery..... this is more a gimick IMO than anything) - Rather have circulation throughout your entire system (DT and SUMP) than just the DT.

Excellent build quality they fantastic and they are also silent (at least the ones I have seen in use).

Cons:

Price
    Price
    Price
    Price
    Price
    But you get what you pay for.

Some say that because you can't adjust them the flow is single directional. I don't think this is true. You have different pump modes which are more than capable of creating turbulent water which therefore churns the water in multiple directions.

Parts / addons are also expensive

This is my view from my experience.....

Last edited: 4 Jun 2012
  15. Punisher

Punisher Thread Starter

thanks guys!
    much appreciated @ mytank

next topic...
    my DT is 1500 x 600 x 650
    im looking for a skimmer and wanted to know what you would suggest around the R3500 mark.
    i dont NEED a Deltec just something reliable and that will work just fine and more....

fanks!

16. rakabos

rakabos

Watch the forums

I picked up two Vortech MP40's for less than 4k ;)

17. mytank

mytank

Hmmm skimmers goes down the same route as pumps. You get the cheap the medium and the expensive.

Skimmers are something I would not skimp on. I would rather for now buy SunSun flow pumps and put the extra cash into a good skimmer.
    @Submariner has good JNS which are great prices and fantastic skimmers.

The good (in order):
    JNS
    ReefOcto

The best (no order)
    Vertex Alpha's
    Deltck

The ugly (in my experience)
    Skimz - great in theory and when they work. Cr@p pumps they don't work most the time!
    Anything with a lot of Chinese writing on it ;)

Skimmers are SO important and will really save you the world of trouble if you invest in the right one up front. X2 or if u can X3 rated for the volume of your tank.

Look at things like bubble rate (flow rate does not mean bubble rate .... And bubble rate is important)

The volume of the water column in proportion to the cone and or neck size of the skimmer.

Also ask for noise levels of the skimmer. Look for one with rubber feet and silicone joints between pump and skimmer to reduce noise.

Hth

18. Punisher

Punisher Thread Starter

@mytank

thanks man
    yea, im kinda getting lost, TSR has been a huge help and im leaning toward the JNS SK3 from them
    think this will be good on my size tank? +- 600l excluding sump ???

19. mytank

mytank

It was running my tank of the similar size but I upgraded to a Vertex Aplha. Can it and will it do the job - YES is it a good skimmer YES!

Would I go bigger if I had the cash YES :)

20. Punisher

Punisher Thread Starter

how much bigger?
    :peroni:

21. mytank

mytank

One level up would be good enough a Shark 4

Recent Posts