Which Fish to Stock First

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by ChrisRaubs, 8 Nov 2012.

1. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey There Guys,,,

So i'm going to be stocking the newly cycled tank round about the middle of this month...

My Fish List will be:

1 x Bangai Cardinal
    2 x Ocellaris Clowns
    1 x Royal Gramma
    Still contemplating on either a wrasse / Goby

I know the gramma will have to go in last, but in your opinion, which of these guys should go in first, so to cause the least amounts of fights...?

Thanks,,, ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

4. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs Thread Starter

Thanks @rakabos ,,,

any suggestions to which wrasse or goby i could go for?

was thinking along the lines of yellow watch man goby or leopard wrasse...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. rakabos

rakabos

Neither of those fish would be an issue really. Clowns can be territorial but only towards other clowns. So with any of the fish u mentioned u dont really need to worry about the order.

Tank size?

6. ChrisRaubs

Thats the problem... :005:

My tank is 80l ,,, 450 x 450 x 500... so i'm already pushing it with 4 fishies,,, but i really want a goby or wrasse... :012:

7. rakabos

rakabos

Wrasses get big....... Maybe a six line?

8. ZooCucumber

ZooCucumber

Im sure 6 fish will be fine in that sie tank, i'll even push 8 if they are small and the filtration an handle it.

I would go for n wrasse. Maybe a flasher?

Last edited: 8 Nov 2012
  9. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I have 2 clowns, a damsel, and a green clown goby in my 80L. Must say, the clowns are the aggro, territorial ones.. Still planning on my citrus goby, or midas blenny...
    But everything added after the clowns took a while to settle, they did not take too kindly to new residents...

Last edited: 8 Nov 2012
  10. ChrisRaubs

Not to fond of them :whistling: , but thanks for the suggestion...

Not familiar with them, will read up a bit... ;)

So maybe I should do it in the following order:

Cardinal
    Wrasse or goby
    Clowns
    Gramma. ?

I believe the grammars are a tad more agro to new comers than clowns... Is that right?

11. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

That is my understanding, yes.

12. ChrisRaubs

K cool. Thanks guys!! :thumbup:

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Clowns can take on any other similar size or smaller. Especially after they decided on a nesting site.

Especially damsels, well same family actually. In a small tank it will be a problem.

On that size tank I would not go for a sand sifting goby either. Midas Blennie or bi-color would be great. Even small angel maybe like Dusky angel, but that's pushing it a bit. But at least the angel would be able to stand its ground against the Ocealaris.

Best is to get fish that occupies different spaces in the tank. Clowns would be middle to lower. So something that like the substrate (Goby), something that likes the higher rock structure (Blennie).

14. ChrisRaubs

Thanks for that advice Riaan,,, ;)

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

16. crispin

crispin

i agree with what Riaans saying above and personally in a tank that size id skip wrasses (even flasher's although they are alot more peaceful)

id look at getting a small goby with symbiotic shrimps, something like a yasha goby or high fin goby etc with a small shrimp to burow for him. Makes an awesum display in a small tank.

im not sure if a midas blenny will fit an 80l tank but they are great additions to any tank, as is a lawnmower blennie. I think either fish would be good in there :)

17. crispin

crispin

also personally id skip a citron goby or the like as they tend to be very static and when space is limited to the amount of fish you can have i would suggest a midas blenny in the same space would give you greater enjoyment:)

18. ChrisRaubs

Thanks for that link Carlos !! :thumbup:

Thanks for your experienced in put @crispin,,,

I quite like the Midas and lawnmower,,, wots your thoughts on a fire fish goby?

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

When choosing the fish, choose species according to age. Mature Clowns will be more aggressive than grammar.

I would also get 2 cardinals and only 1 clown if any, If your intention is to keep a pair for breading, the cardinals are far more likely to produce young than the clowns.

20. jacoc

jacoc

Hi Chris...personally I would not put a lawnmower in a new tank as it is hard enough to keep it alive in a matured tank for more than a year some experience guy’s have been more success full, No pun mend @crispin...
    All 3 of the species you want would do.. you might want to introduce them at the same time and with lights off so they don’t have territory yet and will except there space in the aquarium easier...Make sure you have enough hiding places for them to hide when first introduced to the tank they will sort themselves out in no time. And goby’s do better if they are paired ( x2) in a tank.

Off the subject if I may...
    For that size tank to stock 6-8 fish no matter the size is certain death in the long run for some or most of the fish... as you mentioned you know you are on the risk side already with 4 fish. There is an old school saying that goes..."for every fish (inch of fish) to survive never mind thrive you should have at least 25-50l of water when it comes to marines. Now that’s just a guide but it gives a good indication of how to stock correct versus over stocking...and this part is the difficult one as we all want our tanks to be alive with plenty fish and sometimes we don’t think we just do...

You can do water changes as many as you like it won’t change this fact and by doing to frequent big water changes in that size tank would be like starting over and over with cycling as your water don’t get time to mature. And in a few weeks or months you will ask the question why does my fish die??

And THEN..! The questions like what are your water parameters and tank filtration and even the LFS might get the blame for selling you unhealthy fish-and-and-and...
    I know this is not what anyone wants to here but it’s unfortunately fact and not fiction.
    If you don’t have a 10k+ filtration system stick to the basics..

21. ChrisRaubs

Hey there NJ,,,

Thanks for that advise. I really didn't know clowns where that aggressive... It's not for breeding at all. I just liked the idea of having a pair, the clowns would be the main attraction of the tank, fish wise... I will keep a close eye on behavior and personalities, and should there to much fighting going on, I'll remove the bullied fish.

Hi Jaco, this post really means a lot to me... A lot of thought have gone into it, and i really appreciate that!

I will stick to 4 fish for now ,,, even though it borderlines overstocking...

To ALL the guys' inut,,, I thank you all. :yeahdude:

Truly appreciated!

Recent Posts