Which aragonite to use

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by sharkbite, 25 Mar 2008.

1. sharkbite

sharkbite

which brand of aragonite is best to use,are all brands basically the same and it just comes down to personal choice.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

As far as I know there is only one brand of proper aragonite and that would be caribsea. If you can afford it then I'd use it. Seachem aragonite isn't all aragonite, just particles coated with aragonite (which dissolves). The only other thing claiming to be aragonite I've seen is Kent's aragonite, no idea what that is. If you're on a budget you're kinda stuck with using well washed playsand. (Or aquamedic "aragonite" which isn't aragonite at all)

4. sharkbite

sharkbite Thread Starter

cool,thanks

5. LikesFish

LikesFish

sharkbite ...

oh ha ha.

Sorry couldn't help myself. I have a daughter.....

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

caribsea

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

8. IMarine

IMarine

Hey freind i am using caribsea it is the best in the world.

9. Boerseun

Boerseun

Im also looking to use Arag-alive florida crushed for my substrate. If any one has an idea of how much I would need for a 1.35Mx0.5xM 2CM= 135L please let me know

10. Glynn

Glynn

Rory .. on what basis do you claim that AM aragonite is not aragonite at all ?? This product marketed as Hydrocarbonate is one of the purest forms of calcium carbonate on earth and was specifically used for calcium reactors which dissolve everything into the water. Aragonite is a generic term for various forms of crystalised calcium carbonate some being more pure than others. Crushed coral is also aragonite ..the rounded pebble form called oolite. In displays where sand beds are thin most forms of aragonite work well ..but in dsb or carx pure forms are better because of the dissolving factor. In the early 90s when we used crushed coral for carx we always had problems with phosphate leaching ..sometimes it is bound up in coral skeletons (which makes sense because it was formed by carbon fixing )

11. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

You are correct Glynn. I really can't remember why I said that (it was 2008). I do know that in the context at the time most people were looking for aragonite to use for DSB's (for which AM hydrocarbonate is too coarse) and for use as a substrate in the display that would offer buffering capacity at a pH higher than than what pure CaCO3 would dissolve at and also to provide trace elements in the process hence the recommendation towards "natural aragonite" as opposed to "pure aragonite" but yes to state CaCO3 isn't aragonite is *definitely* incorrect.:whistling:

Last edited: 24 Jul 2013
Recent Posts