Where to now?

Reaction score
Overview: The tank has been filled for a week or so, sump connected and skimmer running for a few days now. My LR was well matured with little to no die-off while transporting.

What should I do from here? Green algae has started at the back and brown algae on the LR. I've heard adding fish food to give bacteria a boost but was also under the impression I could add some clean up crew?. Haven't bought any test kits yet as I heard there is a 5 in 1 test kit coming out.

Heres a pic of the algae growth
100_1489.jpg

One week is a bit early, get your test kit, ammonia, nitrite nitrate and phosphate, once tested, post the results and we can go from there, adding fish to help with the cycle is outdated and cruel, so please don't.

Yip sit and wait it out not much else, the algae on the rocks etc is just part of the cycle

:D Although its not fun waiting, waiting now will pay off later:D

If you have a reactor, that will work a charm otherwise put it into a stocking in your overflow.

Kanga, are you referring to carbon in a stocking? If so, how often does it have to be changed?

Yip Carbon in a stocking, once a week change would be great, use a fist size amount in your system, You can run Phosphate media like that as well although changes are less often depending on what you use

During the intial cycle it's not a problem if you don't run carbon.

You want to wait at least 4 weeks before adding any stock, and that's if your parameters check out.
Do a 10% water change in about a weeks time and hopefully you have a test kit so that you can give us a run down on the parameters.

Just had an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test done, all 0. Do I need to add ammonia (unzips the pants) to kickstart it or add a molly or 2?

Dont unzip Pants:lol: Dont add mollies.

You have rock in there? it should start your cycle for you.

You wont have a cycle with that cured LR. Don't add things to kick start a new cycle - it does not make sense. The LR does that for you. Best is to start with hardy soft corals once your parameters have checked out, followed by (or at the same time) some cleanup crew such as snails and hermits. They help with filtration. Once the coral shows good signs of health you can slowly add fish.

are the blue lights in the back and front that will reduce the algea

im not sure i would add corals before fish? id personally allow fora short cycle to take place and then add one or two hardy fish

It is better to start with soft corals as they will enhance your water quality. From an article I read from Eric Borneman.

Last edited:
im not sure i would add corals before fish? id personally allow fora short cycle to take place and then add one or two hardy fish

Wouldn't a short cycle have started already after 2 weeks?

Then, add the appropriate types of substrate (sand, rubble, rock, whatever) and wait long after “your tank water tests fine” before you add fish and corals. First, add herbivores and maintain water quality. Water changes, carbon, skimming, alkalinity, calcium. Keep the water of high quality, even for things you can’t test for. Wait a few months and enjoy the growth that will happen. Then, add some of the species that you plan to keep….invertebrates and corals. They help create the environment, and also photosynthesize, add biodiversity, stabilize nutrients, etc. Then….then….add fish.
- From Eric Borneman

Back
Top Bottom