Where to get snorkling kit?

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Wanting to start snorkeling and collecting my own fish etc.

Where can I get decent kit at a reasonable price? Probably need a mask, snorkel, fins and a 20mm wet suite.... I'm shit scared of sharks, could they bite through that??? :whistling:

Ok, maybe a 5mm or something, just hate cold water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anything else I would need? besides a shark repeller?
</IMG>

dude what size are you? i have a few suits i am parting with.. 3mm body 2mm arms..

full siut x 1
3/4 long legs x 2
shorty x 1
all billabong

Freedivers near the Stables off Goble road.
Kingfisher in Hunter street.
There another dive shop towards the end of Point road (Dont know whats the new nameof the road:p) opposite the post office

a 20mm wet suite.... I'm shit scared of sharks, could they bite through that??? :whistling:

hmm, sharks would not only get through that but most likely through your whole leg too:) so the diff between that seriously overly thick 20mm and 5mm would be that you would cook in the wet suit and then you wouldnt feel the shark biting:) 5mm may also end up being hot, 3mm may be better, but i'd say go with the 5mm cause then you could dive in the winter too.

Kingfisher Tackle in town had reasonable prices, check the for sale forums. Everybody these days is too quick to go elsewhere, there are wicked bargains on the forum!!!!!!:razz:

get a shark pod if you scared of sharks the only problem is that i feel they draw the predator to you to see what you are rather than them initiating the "taste" test! my friend are agents for them here in E.L. and have had life saving results with big sharks in mozambique.. a real must if you go to the kei.. retail for about R3k

Why do you need a wetsuit for Durban? Unless you plan diving in the winter.

get a shark pod if you scared of sharks the only problem is that i feel they draw the predator to you to see what you are rather than them initiating the "taste" test! my friend are agents for them here in E.L. and have had life saving results with big sharks in mozambique.. a real must if you go to the kei.. retail for about R3k

Thanks Leslie, R3k not bad, but it will be cheaper to take Mekaeel with and just make sure I can swim twice as fast as him?:lol: :lol: :lol:

i saw a dead shark carcass at north pier a few years ago it looked like a white grain bag flapping in the current on closer inspection i saw what it was.. i wanted the jaw and grabbed it.. while i was swimming to the surface i got a terrable shiver down my spine and dropped it.. i dident even look back... it played on my mind the rest of the 10 days we dived there..

You okes are funny with sharks..... I have just about 100 sea dives, WITH NOT ONE SHARK spotting! Eish!
sorry for that bud, been diving a total of five times:) swam with sharks once:) does it count if the time i swam with sharks i was actually snorkeling at USHAKA:lol: what about if i said they were really big(actually only 2m) and had lots of sharp teeth? I swam within 1m of them too, up close and personal:) got pics if anyone is interested..

as far as a wetsuit is concerned for Durban summers, even if its summer, you lose body heat, so you could swim for longer if you didnt lose too much heat, so it helps:) but as i previously said, 5mm was a bit much for summer:)

3mm was cool offered protection against the sharp rocks and urchins.. but forget the sharks im more worried about stonefish.. there was a big and i mean BIG lime green one on the point at north pier.. wonder what happened to him

Thanks Leslie, R3k not bad, but it will be cheaper to take Mekaeel with and just make sure I can swim twice as fast as him?:lol: :lol: :lol:
well seeing as he's a trained life guard, i'm sure his swimming skills could be top notch, so unless you've got gills you may be in a bit of trouble trying that:) its the age old theory ''Your a nice guy, but if flesh eating zombies come i'm tripping you:):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom