Where to get kalkwasser, Calsuim hydroxide, pickling lime

theoholder

jelly Clown
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone or if we can get this info from the form.
Where can we buy kalkwasser, calsuim hydroxide or pickling lime?

Just to add to Warr's post - it is actually called "Slaked Lime" (English) or "Gebluste Kalk" (afr) - just ask for this....

The chemical compound name is: calcium hydroxide... This is what you use to make "kalkwasser"....

okey so just a quick question. the kalkwasser drip will that only up the calsium in the tank or will it increase the alk aswell?

I've been reading up on the kalk drip, but no where can I find how much one should add of the kalk mix into the tank. I"ve got a 270L tank.
Now to start off, can I add 1L of kalkwasser to my tank and then test the calsium consentrate in the tank?
I will make the mix as follows: 1 teaspoon of calsium hydroxide with 15ml of white household vinager and mix, then add the 1L RO water. Stir and let sit for about 2 hours and then drip into tank. Is this the right way of doing it or is the prosses diffrent?

Hello Theo - no - please don't. What I do (and I have a total water volume of +-870 litres in my display tank), is make up the kalkwasser mixture (I use the following formula: +-15-20grams of slaked lime, +-200 to 250ml of vinegar, and the rest RO water and put this in a 2 litre container (old cola bottle).

I then "feed" the tank about 4 to 5 times a week, around 100ml of this mixture (I made a hole in the cola bottle's cape and put a small piece of airline tubing into the cap, to act as a "squirt-bottle".....

So, if you can deduce from this that I dose relatively little......... The more corals you have - the more you would dose....

Important would be to keep your calcium levels monitored, as well as you pH....

just one more question, do you add this 100ml all at once or do drip?

Yes - I indeed add this 100ml all at once.... You can set up a dripping system if you want to to add more than this amount, over a much longer period of time (ie over a few hours).... BUT - the important bit is the measurement of your calcium and pH!

the kalkwasser drip, will that only up the calsium in the tank or will it increase the alk aswell?

It will increase/add both calcium and alkalinity in a balanced ratio which is exactly right for what the corals take out of the water.

I've been reading up on the kalk drip, but no where can I find how much one should add of the kalk mix into the tank. I"ve got a 270L tank.
Now to start off, can I add 1L of kalkwasser to my tank and then test the calsium consentrate in the tank?

Kalk should be added either by dripping the clear liquid into a high-flow area of the tank or sump (preferably...) at a rate of 1-2 drops per second, or by injecting small quantities (a few ml...) of a 'slurry' into a very high flow area, such as into the stream of a power head outlet.

For more information, check the following posts:

Chemical equivalents - Hennie's Corner
Kalkwasser Question - Hennie's Corner

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom