where to get a new tank and stand in Durbs

Discussion in 'New Members' started by James Labuschagne, 9 Apr 2012.

1. James Labuschagne

James Labuschagne

Hi, I am looking to start a marine tank (FOWLR), I would like to buy a tank approx 150cm by 60cm high by 50cm. with a closed cabinet stand and canopy, where can I get this in durban and roughly for how much should i pay?
    The juwel rio 240 looks nice but I loath to pay R7000 for a tank and then drill it for an overflow.
    Any ideas?

James

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. James Labuschagne

James Labuschagne Thread Starter

confused

Now im confused, I was looking at the Juwel rio 240 with nice cabinet and built in lighting and filter and optional internal skimmer, a nice looking tank. then I went into the lfs in kings rd and the owner has just about talked me out of that choice. he mentioned that the cabinet is made of supawood and must not get wet also no option of a sump which I did not really want anyway. He suggested a custom built tank & sump with galvanised steel frame which can be covered with wood later.

Anyone have any problems with the Juwel tanks and what is the preferred way to go?

5. belindamotion

Im posting from phone so I hope this goes thru.. The (George?) LFS is correct..if it's the Tanks I'm thinking of as those Tanks are Freshwater Tanks...you can do major mods on them and convert it to Marine Tanks...in a nutshell....
    You really WANT a sump or else you will have issues further down the line...In my case I also agree regarding the "superwood" cabinet..I've got the SMALL 58L Boyu and had to make a stand for it as my cabinet went "warped" no matter how I tried NOT to let it come in contact with water...

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012
  6. belindamotion

I just found this...same Tank you have...
    My first marine tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    How to Drill a Glass Aquarium | eHow.com

Here is a List of Links I like to give...:p..I know it's a pain going thru them, but thats how we gain knowledge..:blush:
    Newbie INFO..
    Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    New to Marines- Please listen!!!!!!!!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Most Important..."THE CYCLE"...
    Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Livestock...
    Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Easy Soft Corals For Your Reef Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Your First Hard Corals: LPS Hard Corals - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Water Parameters
    Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

DIY...
    BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Evolution of slimline Overflow - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Sump....

My first marine tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

DSB Setup for Beginners - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Reefkeeping 101 – Sumps! by Marc Levenson - Reefkeeping.com
    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part II by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com
    Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part III by Greg Taylor - Reefkeeping.com

DSB vs NP...
    I don't know anything about NP Pellets..but a direction to go into if you'r Sump is too small to house a DSB...bare in mind I know nothing in regards to the "Chemical aspects" of the Tanks...:p
    DSB, Nitrate Filter, NP pellets, - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

NutriFix NP Bio Pellets - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    DSB to NP Pellets - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Prolonged use of NP Pellets - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    NutriFix NP Bio Pellets - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

There really is so much info on this Forum...once you get the basic concept, it will become easier...:thumbup:

PS...have a look at some of the Members Systems and Set-ups....90% has the "tank, sump and galvanised steel frame "...

James Labuschagne likes this.
  7. Tremayn

Tremayn

You rather buy a second hand tank from the for sale section and save your self some big $$$ then you can use that money to get a decent skimmer

8. James Labuschagne

James Labuschagne Thread Starter

Ok thats settled that then, a costom tank from George and sump.
    I would like LFS to drill the tank for the overflow, should I drill the base or the side?
    Thanks for your previous assistance

9. belindamotion

Did you go thru this overflow Links I gave earlier...?..there are some Designs...you can choose which one you want...you are paying for the Custom Tank, so it's only fare that you can give an imput, into the Design...many do "corner overflow"...some also do the overflow "box" in the center of the backpanel...have a look at some...
    Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Evolution of slimline Overflow - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    ..skinny overflow is also one that can be used...
    Coast to coast overflow??? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

The backpanel is usually the one with the drilled holes...what size are you looking at for the Display Tank...if the Tank is long, then most of the time you will either have 2 outlets...one either side of you'r backpanel...it just helps with flow and getting rid of ditruis..

Go thru the Sump Link also...chances are that you stick with the 3 Chamber Sump...with Trickle Filter..
    BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I'm sure some of the guys who build their own Tanks will give you some pointers which will most likely be better in the long run for you...:blush:.."Tank Building" is not yet quiet my thing..:005:

10. mupwi

mupwi

Can yo pm me the croud that offered to build you a costom tank I have been sending emails out for a couple of weeks now trying to get a costom tank built in durban and have had zero responces so far. Got the cash got the desighn I have just can't find a builder that will awnser email and that includes the sponsors maby Ill have to have it built in jhb or ct seems we don't have any tank builders in dbn. Sorry for hijacking your thread just getting frustrated

Recent Posts